Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up....  (Read 49973 times)

kati_jo

Computer locks up....
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:13:35 AM »
Okay.....I have searched everywhere I can think of.  I like to play on-line games and beginning about 1 1/2 months ago my computer started locking up in the middle of a game.  it is only some games.  I have tried a system restore and it tells me that there have been no changes made.  I have done the directXdiag and all looks okay.  I did try to dawnload the update for nVidia and when I didn that my machine would not re-boot, it just started looping.  I had to do a restart from last known good config.  I am running Windows XP pro (an upgrade disc from windows ME).  I have tried everything in my small array of knowledge......any ideas?  thank you ???

kati_jo

Re: Computer locks up....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 12:34:51 AM »
I forgot to note that after the nVidia debacle.....I reverted back to the last known good config....now I have a missing dll file.  I downloaded it, but it doesnt semm to like it.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 01:11:21 AM »
have a look in the events log view errors.admin tools...you could roll back your nvida driver?does this happen on certain websites.... lost dll either re-boot f8 and chose the last good config..or try system file checker C:\>sfc /?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:17:23 AM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 10:04:38 AM »
I have checked the events log and the only thing in there is a bunch of errors when internet explorer wont close out properly. So I have to ctrl/alt/delete.  I am not sure how to roll back my driver? I did do the last good config and it still says I am missing the driver. Finally....I am not sure about the system file checker?  thank you for your help.  I am afraid I will need to wipe the hard drive and start all over.  

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:13:32 PM »
try f8 again safe mode and do this>control panel/system/advanced/settings >startup and recovery>/system failure/uncheck-automatically restart. try download the driver again...

kati_jo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 10:34:24 PM »
Okay....I did that, but now it wont let me download the driver again...and I cant restore it to an earlier date because nothing has changed.  UGH

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:26:06 AM »
hit the f8 key again and chose last good config and re-boot..and this bunch of errors<event log> what are they?

kati_jo

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:06:01 AM »
there are so many I dont even know where to start.  Quite a few acpi, Service Control Manager, DCOM, VSS, Event System, Application Hang.   well.....for the most part the freezing occurs when I try to play online games in Yahoo.....I just dont know.   :-/ :'(

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:46:36 PM »
any stop error messages try an online virus scan from trendmirco...and scan for trojans etc use stinger form network associates or try this>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm  you have of course all the uopdates?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 12:48:01 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 09:56:08 PM »
I do have all the updates.  I did a fresh install of XP Pro....I am still getting locked up.  If I have several windows opened it will lock up to I have just found out.  I am thinking it might be something to do with the video card.  When I try to download the update for it it messes up the whole computer.  I have to do a last known good config.  

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »
try this website it may help>http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm  but the issue here is your graphics card?does your keyboard mouse play up?and nearly forgot the phamtom winxp firewall is it configured to this game site?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 01:59:41 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 12:23:14 AM »
I thought the firewall would just block the site?  My computer comletely locks up....have to shut down and re-boot.  Keyboard and mouse are fine.I will try the site you suggested.  TY for all the help

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 02:13:20 AM »
You should clean the registry and remove redundant files with a program such as Advanced System Optimizer and Regseeker.

And use the Windows diskcleaner as well.

kati_jo

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 10:42:46 PM »
Okay.....feeling REALLY stupid now.  I looked at the website that Merlin posted, it was like greek to me.  and I have NO clue how to do the tasks that Raptor suggests......I am sorry.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 03:22:19 AM »
Go to these websites:

Advanced System Optimizer

Regseeker

(Click on the names to go there)

From there, download the programs (ASO is only avaible as a free trial, unless you plan on registering) and follow the instructions carefully Nothing can go wrong if you are careful and read.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:23:41 AM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 03:25:02 AM »
Okay.....feeling REALLY stupid now.  I looked at the website that Merlin posted, it was like greek to me.  and I have NO clue how to do the tasks that Raptor suggests......I am sorry.

The website Merlin provided you with is actually only for experienced users that are interested in shutting down Windows 'services' that they donot require. I believe there is a PDF version as well which is easier to read.

For example, the writer of this guide has 6 made groups. Of which 5 are custom and 1 is standard (Windows standard settings) And the last being the most tampered with and the second good for any user.

Once you have read the intro and did exactly as he told it will make more sense. You can disable, enable or put Windows services to automatic which should free up memory.

However, I suggest you are very careful should you proceed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:29:07 AM by Raptor »

kati_jo

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 12:15:11 AM »
AAAAAHHHHHH!!  I am finding that ANY time I do ANYTHING that requires my machine to work too hard it locks up.  I tried to view some pictures from a CD and it locked up.  I cannot download the new driver for the Nvidia because when I do.....my machine wont restart. I am hoping the websites you gave me help with that.  TY all for ALL of your help and suggestions.

kati_jo

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »
I forgot to mention.....I dont know what to do with the system reg or optimizer once I get them?  :(  Maybe I should take this chunk of metal to a computer shop??

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 12:57:42 AM »
can you run defrag?.....in the tools/internet/options there is box called clear history ...click that...i suggest you save your cash and use the help and support in the start menu  box to learn more about your pc.....can you try this ....reboot pc on restarting on if keep tapping the f8 key <safe mode> and chose the last good config...also run this program>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  just click the scan key..............on the aso program just click on the help text?

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 04:32:53 AM »
I forgot to mention.....I dont know what to do with the system reg or optimizer once I get them?  :(  Maybe I should take this chunk of metal to a computer shop??

Read the instructions that came with the program or find them on the website.

They are used to clean your registry and Advanced System Optimizer can remove files you no longer need as well.

kati_jo

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »
I downloaded the ASO and when it runs....the machine locks up.  I tried to re-install my Norton SystemWorks, the machine locks up, I tried an online virus scan, and you guessed it...the machine locks up.  It is worse now than it was BEFORE I reinstalled the XP. :-[ ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »
    kati_jo.....I have been following your dilema for the last two days and I think......if you were to format your hard drive and then reinstall Win ME and the reinstall the XP upgrade your problems will disappear. It sounds like you just did a reinstall of the XP upgrade.....I dont believe that will solve your problem .....

Good luck

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »
    You donot have to install Windows 2000 in order to install Windows XP Upgrade.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »
      Oh.....I wasnt aware that Win XP upgrade was a stand alone system ...I was under the impression that you could only install it over and existing Win product......Well .....I guess you can learn something every day.

Thanks.....

dl65  ???

merlin_2

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 03:28:49 PM »
      kati_jo  uninstall winxp by using the ad/remove  section oin the control panel....it will do it despite some views...and return you system to winme ...this is possible due to  you using an upgrade disk...then install winxp if you have to....<no comment is added at this time>
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 03:35:54 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »
      Oh.....I wasnt aware that Win XP upgrade was a stand alone system ...I was under the impression that you could only install it over and existing Win product......Well .....I guess you can learn something every day.

Thanks.....

dl65  ???

It heavily depends upon of the mood of your system, actually.

With the exact same disks I was not able to install Windows XP Upgrade without installing Windows 98 the first time I installed XP on the Maxtor harddisk currently installed. But the second time that I had to format and reinstall it gladly accepted my ('Illegal') Windows 98 disk as proper authorization.
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:03:32 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 03:44:41 PM »

Thanks.....

dl65  
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------you  are 100% right dl65 m$oft have conned so many people in thinking that the system is brand new not so if people were to open there  eyes  which they do not all systems are still using win3.1 thats why an upgrade come into play and nothing to do with security longhorn now suffer from problems even before its launched in 2005 .... all windows systems use old files...and then the crunch...updates to retify the faults  old files...nice scam....the future is can i please mr bill gates load this...sir
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 03:45:34 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:45 PM »
      un-installing XP is not an option.  I dont have that as a choice.  I would GLADLY wipe the drive and go with ME....but I cant seem to "unlock" whatever it is that needs to be unlocked.  I have gone to command prompt and then to fdisk...but I cant get past that?

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 03:40:46 AM »
      If you wish to use /Fdisk I suggest you do it from a bootdisk rather than from the Windows command prompt.

kati_jo

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 09:56:55 AM »
      Would I be best off to wipe the disk clean...by that I mean re-format the fdisk(is that right?)?  If so....how do I do that from a boot disk?  I used the XP disk and selected to erase everything and start all over, but I can still find old files, ones that were put on BEFORE I did the re-install.  And the problem has gotten worse since I did the re-install.  

Raptor

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 10:39:50 AM »
      Set the first boot device to Floppy Disk, insert the Boot disk and then an MS-DOS prompt should appear.

From there, type Format C: or whatever other station you wish to format.

Once that is done, you can run /Fdisk to assign new partitions or delete the ones you no longer want.

Mac

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 12:16:36 PM »
      You do not need to have an OS installed, the setup program will
      prompt you for verification during installation. Here's an excerpt from
      the installation procedure:

If your Windows XP CD-ROM is an upgrade, you are prompted to insert a
      CD-ROM of a previous operating system to check for upgrade compliance.

Remove the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then insert the CD-ROM from your
      previous operating system into the CD-ROM drive. Valid qualifying media
      for upgrade compliance include:

Windows 98
      Windows 98 Second Edition
      Windows Millennium Edition
      Windows NT 4.0
      Windows 2000 Professional

When you receive a prompt for the Windows XP CD-ROM, remove your
      previous operating system CD-ROM, and then insert your Windows XP
      CD-ROM.

If you have misplaced, lost, or never received a Windows OS CD, borrow
      one from a friend for use during this part of the installation.

See this article for complete installation details:

HOW TO: Install Windows XP
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

And:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

kati_jo

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 08:50:32 PM »
      Okay......I wiped the hard drive and started completely.  I reformated the hard drive.  The stupid thing is STILL locking up.  I just want to cry. lol  Could the video card cause this?  This computer was given to me and I was told that the video card was "too much" for the machine...ran hot etc.  I have opened the case and moved the fan back a bit so it is blowing directly on the video card.  Would the video card cause this mess though?

2k dummy

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 09:42:42 PM »
      Heat can cause a lot of problems. To find out if that is the problem, open the case and leave it open. Get a desktop fan (not a computer fan - a regular household fan) and set it so that it will blow air through the case. Try to reboot and reload. If it still freezes up, check to make sure the power supply is adequate to support everything. These are the two main causes of unexplained lock ups and shutdowns.

kati_jo

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 11:57:45 PM »
      well....the fan didnt help and I am pretty sure the power supply is adequate.  I cant seem to get anything to work now.  cant download the updates, cant do anything.  I give up....going to try another machine for now

merlin_2

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 12:36:54 AM »
      dont give up.....ok where are we now... is winxp loaded? did you get any blue screens at all that you can remember...how old is your hard drive....and pc....do you have any anti-programs..

merlin_2

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 12:39:45 AM »
      dont give up...... have look here>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=315222   and smile ;D

Mac

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2004, 01:06:08 AM »
      Well....the fan didn't help and I am pretty sure the power supply is adequate.  I can't seem to get anything to work now.  Can't download the updates, can't do anything.  I give up....going to try another machine for now

Hello Katie-Jo, I would make sure that the RAM modules are properly seated as the contact pressure of many RAM modules is insufficient in the long term and the contacts can become erratic simply due to airborne moisture. Problems downloading often point to this being the problem.

(How much RAM does your computer have, btw?)

So, with the machine switched off and unplugged and disconnected from the modem/DSL internet connection, lay the computer on its right side with the left-hand cover panel off, touch the metal case with your left hand and hold down the power switch for ten seconds.

This is to even out any residual low voltage in the circuitry.

Unclip the RAM modules and ease them out of their bases. Make a note of the part numbers in your work-book in case you want to order more RAM in the future.

Then just put them back in again so that the contacts make a fresh contact. You might want to take them out and put them back in several times. Make sure that they are pushed well home and fully seated and then put the retaining clips back in to hold them in.

You can adopt the same procedure with the video card. (I had a sound card simply fall out once due to the lack of a retaining screw (OEM) after I moved a computer from one room to another.)

To check on the adequacy of your power supply use this site:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply

Add everything, as if it is ALL running at the same time, to calculate the MAXIMUM possible usage.

You should never use the abslute maximum but then it is not a good idea to run a power supply above 90% of its fully rated capacity.

(Computers should probably have a Wattmeter on them so that people can see just how much power they are using.)(Really the power supply should be part of an UPS and be external to the computer to allow more room inside the case, make maintenance easier and to reduce the casing temperature, in my opinion, as a mechanical & electrical Engineer.)

Also make sure that your main power supply is good and that there are no loose connections. ( I had a child user re-booting his parents computer by kicking the loose wiring!)

The wall socket should NOT be shared by any power appliance such as an electric fire or air-conditioner to avoid the possibility of voltage drop or inducing resistance into the wiring by overheating.)

BTW, if you ever use a cable reel, you should always reel out the full length of the cable otherwise the rolled up cable can act as an electro-magnetic coil, overheat, and either melt, or go on fire.

Mac

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »
      Amazing! That is supposed to read "you should never be able to use the ab...solute maximum".

How did that ab... very *friendly* persone ... get in there? ???

Is this site haunted by any chance? ???

Don't forget to clean all dust out whilst you are in there.

I blow it out with the back end of a cylinder vacuum cleaner. Best done outside or on the porch or balcony, if you have one.
      « Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:12:41 AM by Mac »

kati_jo

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2004, 02:05:46 AM »
      XP is loaded...no blue screens that I recall...Not sure on the age of the PC or its parts...it was a "gift"  thats what I get from a free computer....last time I tried to load the Norton the computer kept crashing.  I tried to load the winME and it wouldnt let me...said I needed a newer version......and as far as taking the computer apart....not so sure about that.  I opened the case and put a fan on it.......but beyond that I am a little hesitant

Mac

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2004, 04:01:14 AM »
      I downloaded the ASO and when it runs....the machine locks up.  I tried to re-install my Norton SystemWorks, the machine locks up, I tried an online virus scan, and you guessed it...the machine locks up.  It is worse now than it was BEFORE I reinstalled the XP. :-[ ???

Aha! Norton System Works is a BIG system resource hog, even with XP !!!

When you installed it did you do a default install and have everything starting when Windows starts, because, if is, this is usually fatal unless you have a big system!

So what is your hardware specification like?

Processor?
      Amount of RAM?
      Type of RAM?
      Bus speed?
      Hard-drive speed?
      Hard-drive cache size?

You might be better to uncheck ALL Norton System Works items which are not directly related to the Anti-Virus and Firewall ... only!!!

If in doubt try asking Norton for advice, as they will be sure to want to help you.

Processor? Athlon? Pentium? PIII or P4 (I have an older PIII 1·0GHz)
      Amount of RAM? I have 512Mb
      Type of RAM? I have SDRAM
      Bus speed? 133 MHz
      Hard-drive speed? 7,200 rev/min (some are 5,400 rev/min)
      Hard-drive cache size? 8·0Mb (older drives have 2Mb caches.)

It's a new Maxtor Diamondmax 6Y080P0 (81.96 GB) , btw. Magic!

BTW, did you do a hardware compatibility test before you installed XP on this older ME machine?

Try this from PC Pitstop http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready

kati_jo

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2004, 12:09:13 AM »
      I do not know the specifics on the machine, and not sure where to locate them.  I have BOTH sides off the case and have a fan blowing into the machine.  Still locking up.  I looked at the power supply page...but since I dont know all specifics I dont know what to enter, and what the answer means.

merlin_2

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2004, 01:09:12 AM »
      kati_jo.....when you say it locks up...what are you doing when this happens. for example playing games surfing the net...or windows does not load at all....did you put more ram in your system?either type msinfo32 in the run  box..to display system information or download this if you can>http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/belarc_download.asp
      « Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 01:09:47 AM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2004, 02:41:44 AM »
      It ALWAYS locks up when I try to play an online game...and occasionally when I try to view pictures from a disc, or if I have several windows open.  Windows does load UNLESS I try to install the update for the Nvidia from windows update.  I personally have not put anything into this machine...It was a "gift" and I am not sure what extras may have been added.
      Processor:     x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1205 Mhz
      and the rest of the info Mac asked about...I dont know

merlin_2

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2004, 12:35:04 PM »
      have you tried download the graphics update driver from nvida..
      « Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 12:36:05 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2004, 01:51:40 PM »
      is the graphics driver from Nvidia different than the driver from windows update?

merlin_2

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2004, 02:06:21 PM »
      some one told me that its best to download nvida drivers from nvida and not m$oft...something to do will digital signed infomation vague?...you should really download >http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/belarc_download.asp  as it will give us more info on your system and may also tell you what the problem is....if you know someone or you can do it yourself without hurting yourself...remove the graphics card<nvida>...the on board graphics will take over..it has  preference over plug-in video-cards..
      « Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 02:07:31 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2004, 04:03:42 PM »
      It most likely is an outdated version.

If you upgrade your videocard, always download drivers straight off the manufacturer.

kati_jo

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2004, 05:34:05 PM »
      Okay...here is what I have:
      Processor                
      1.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium III
      32 kilobyte primary memory cache
      256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives              
      40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
      36.17 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
      ATAPI DVD-ROM STAR2000 [CD-ROM drive]
      LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
      3.5" format removeable media [Floppy driveWDC WD400BB-75AUA1 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA6R1347325, rev 18.20D18, SMART Status: Healthy

Main Circuit Board
            Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. TUV4X REV 1.xx
      Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
      BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS TUV4X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003 10/24/2001

Memory Modules
      256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 256 MB
      Slot 'DIMM 2' is Empty
      Slot 'DIMM 3' is Empty
      Slot 'DIMM 4' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes: c: (on drive 0)       40.02 GB       36.17 GB free

I hope that is what you needed.  
      Now, If I take the video card out...will this thing still work?

Also.....I downloaded the Nvidia driver directly from thier site....doesnt work.  Once it is installed windows wont load,  It goes into a continuous cycle of re-starting.  
      « Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 07:03:04 PM by kati_jo »

merlin_2

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2004, 02:29:55 AM »
      go in to safe mode f8 ...keep tapping it..and then go to the control panel/system/advanced/settings >startup and recovery>/system failure/uncheck-automatically restart......reboot pc...try that...if no improvement and you are getting bsod either remove the card from the device manager and reboot..then shutdown...then re-boot then replace the graphics card.....patience is needed in doing this one can only try one can...

Raptor

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2004, 04:18:02 AM »
      If you take out the videocard, you will have to no visual and your computer will most likely play a few beeps to let you know.

kati_jo

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »
      Merlin....are you saying to physically remove the actual card or just from the device  manager?  the other thing....would a video card cause the problem I am having?  I just dont even know if that is the issue....I am not having any luck

merlin_2

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2004, 12:38:49 PM »
       graphics card>ok remove it the device manager and re-boot it may work?when you pc locks up does the apply to your mouse/ keyboard...? did you ever get to look in the events error log..control panel/ admin tools?
      « Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:01:48 PM by merlin_2 »

Mac

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2004, 01:06:56 PM »
      Memory Modules  
      256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 256 MB
      Slot 'DIMM 2' is Empty
      Slot 'DIMM 3' is Empty
      Slot 'DIMM 4' is Empty

Looks like you have a proper Windows Professional computer as well.

With four DIMM slots you can usually fit 4 x 1024Mb RAM modules, i.e. 4·0Gb.

With only 256Mb fitted I can say that you are FAR TOO LOW on RAM!

I find that 512Mb is OK for running XP Home but with your setup I would take the 256Mb module out and replace it with a 1024Mb module.

You can check your computer out at the Crucial site http://www.crucial.com

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:24:11 PM by Mac »

Mac

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »
      It would help to know the make and model of your computer.

Also when you right-click your My Computer icon and open the properties box does it show 256Mb of RAM or is it less? 192Mb for example.

kati_jo

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2004, 11:29:37 PM »
      Merlin...when it locks up.....EVERYTHING freezes.  No mouse no keyboard no anything.

Mac...it says 256...it is a Dell Intell Pentium III

merlin_2

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2004, 01:19:31 AM »
      ok it does seems to point to the graphics card ...it might be faulty...try another one if you can...or roll back the driver for it? the bsod stop  message do you get them ..and dont let this pc defeat you....also you can try this go in to the bios and chose setup defaults...save and exit...can you disconnect one of your hard drives...keep the original one?another process of elimination...my thoughts on this are either the ram ...or graphics card...test your ram try this >http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
      « Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 01:27:21 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2004, 05:41:50 AM »
      Better to uninstall the current drivers and install updated ones.

kati_jo

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2004, 02:39:54 AM »
      Okay...when I try to install the current driver for the Nvidia, it really messes things up.  if I un-install the current drivers will I be able to see to get to the site to try and download the new ones?   I downloaded the new Service pack 2 from MS last night and I had the same issues I get when I install the Nvidia.  The computer wont completely load windows.  It goes to the black screen where it says loading....and then the screen goes to blue where the log in options are....but before it completely loads, it restarts.  I have gone and unchecked the automatically restart button but it makes no difference.

Raptor

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2004, 04:10:17 AM »
      Service Pack 2 has, from what I heard, quite a few compatability issues. I think it is better to uninstall it.

If you uninstall videocard driver, you will still be able to view things but they will go slower and the resolution may be lower.
      « Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 04:10:38 AM by Raptor »

kati_jo

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2004, 10:15:20 AM »
      I never cease to amaze myself...I know what kind of video card I have (I think), but I dont seem to be seeing the driver for it in my list?

Raptor

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2004, 11:05:53 AM »
      What Window are you looking at?

I suggest you right click on My Computer - Manage - Device Manager -> Video adaptors.

That should show you the details of your videocard.

Your drivers should show up in the add/remove software list, if they donot, I suggest you check to see if they are installed properly.

kati_jo

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2004, 12:38:36 AM »
      well...wouldnt you know it!  There is a problem with the driver for the video card.  BUT when I try to install it from the disk I have it doesnt work...and niether does the website download.
      « Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 12:39:55 AM by kati_jo »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2004, 12:51:19 AM »
        kati_jo...try removing the vid card and its drivers......then reinstall it let windows see it and ask that you insert the cd with the drivers on it and let them load

let us know
        dl65  ???

Raptor

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2004, 05:13:57 AM »
        If you use Windows XP, Windows update may have drivers for you that you can use.