Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up....  (Read 49965 times)

Raptor

Re: Computer locks up....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 03:25:02 AM »
Okay.....feeling REALLY stupid now.  I looked at the website that Merlin posted, it was like greek to me.  and I have NO clue how to do the tasks that Raptor suggests......I am sorry.

The website Merlin provided you with is actually only for experienced users that are interested in shutting down Windows 'services' that they donot require. I believe there is a PDF version as well which is easier to read.

For example, the writer of this guide has 6 made groups. Of which 5 are custom and 1 is standard (Windows standard settings) And the last being the most tampered with and the second good for any user.

Once you have read the intro and did exactly as he told it will make more sense. You can disable, enable or put Windows services to automatic which should free up memory.

However, I suggest you are very careful should you proceed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 03:29:07 AM by Raptor »

kati_jo

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 12:15:11 AM »
AAAAAHHHHHH!!  I am finding that ANY time I do ANYTHING that requires my machine to work too hard it locks up.  I tried to view some pictures from a CD and it locked up.  I cannot download the new driver for the Nvidia because when I do.....my machine wont restart. I am hoping the websites you gave me help with that.  TY all for ALL of your help and suggestions.

kati_jo

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »
I forgot to mention.....I dont know what to do with the system reg or optimizer once I get them?  :(  Maybe I should take this chunk of metal to a computer shop??

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 12:57:42 AM »
can you run defrag?.....in the tools/internet/options there is box called clear history ...click that...i suggest you save your cash and use the help and support in the start menu  box to learn more about your pc.....can you try this ....reboot pc on restarting on if keep tapping the f8 key <safe mode> and chose the last good config...also run this program>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  just click the scan key..............on the aso program just click on the help text?

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 04:32:53 AM »
I forgot to mention.....I dont know what to do with the system reg or optimizer once I get them?  :(  Maybe I should take this chunk of metal to a computer shop??

Read the instructions that came with the program or find them on the website.

They are used to clean your registry and Advanced System Optimizer can remove files you no longer need as well.

kati_jo

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »
I downloaded the ASO and when it runs....the machine locks up.  I tried to re-install my Norton SystemWorks, the machine locks up, I tried an online virus scan, and you guessed it...the machine locks up.  It is worse now than it was BEFORE I reinstalled the XP. :-[ ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »
    kati_jo.....I have been following your dilema for the last two days and I think......if you were to format your hard drive and then reinstall Win ME and the reinstall the XP upgrade your problems will disappear. It sounds like you just did a reinstall of the XP upgrade.....I dont believe that will solve your problem .....

Good luck

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »
    You donot have to install Windows 2000 in order to install Windows XP Upgrade.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »
      Oh.....I wasnt aware that Win XP upgrade was a stand alone system ...I was under the impression that you could only install it over and existing Win product......Well .....I guess you can learn something every day.

Thanks.....

dl65  ???
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 03:28:49 PM »
      kati_jo  uninstall winxp by using the ad/remove  section oin the control panel....it will do it despite some views...and return you system to winme ...this is possible due to  you using an upgrade disk...then install winxp if you have to....<no comment is added at this time>
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 03:35:54 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »
      Oh.....I wasnt aware that Win XP upgrade was a stand alone system ...I was under the impression that you could only install it over and existing Win product......Well .....I guess you can learn something every day.

Thanks.....

dl65  ???

It heavily depends upon of the mood of your system, actually.

With the exact same disks I was not able to install Windows XP Upgrade without installing Windows 98 the first time I installed XP on the Maxtor harddisk currently installed. But the second time that I had to format and reinstall it gladly accepted my ('Illegal') Windows 98 disk as proper authorization.
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:03:32 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 03:44:41 PM »

Thanks.....

dl65  
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------you  are 100% right dl65 m$oft have conned so many people in thinking that the system is brand new not so if people were to open there  eyes  which they do not all systems are still using win3.1 thats why an upgrade come into play and nothing to do with security longhorn now suffer from problems even before its launched in 2005 .... all windows systems use old files...and then the crunch...updates to retify the faults  old files...nice scam....the future is can i please mr bill gates load this...sir
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 03:45:34 PM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:45 PM »
      un-installing XP is not an option.  I dont have that as a choice.  I would GLADLY wipe the drive and go with ME....but I cant seem to "unlock" whatever it is that needs to be unlocked.  I have gone to command prompt and then to fdisk...but I cant get past that?

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 03:40:46 AM »
      If you wish to use /Fdisk I suggest you do it from a bootdisk rather than from the Windows command prompt.

kati_jo

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 09:56:55 AM »
      Would I be best off to wipe the disk clean...by that I mean re-format the fdisk(is that right?)?  If so....how do I do that from a boot disk?  I used the XP disk and selected to erase everything and start all over, but I can still find old files, ones that were put on BEFORE I did the re-install.  And the problem has gotten worse since I did the re-install.