Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up....  (Read 49971 times)

Raptor

Re: Computer locks up....
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 10:39:50 AM »
Set the first boot device to Floppy Disk, insert the Boot disk and then an MS-DOS prompt should appear.

From there, type Format C: or whatever other station you wish to format.

Once that is done, you can run /Fdisk to assign new partitions or delete the ones you no longer want.

Mac

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 12:16:36 PM »
You do not need to have an OS installed, the setup program will
prompt you for verification during installation. Here's an excerpt from
the installation procedure:

If your Windows XP CD-ROM is an upgrade, you are prompted to insert a
CD-ROM of a previous operating system to check for upgrade compliance.

Remove the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then insert the CD-ROM from your
previous operating system into the CD-ROM drive. Valid qualifying media
for upgrade compliance include:

Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows Millennium Edition
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000 Professional

When you receive a prompt for the Windows XP CD-ROM, remove your
previous operating system CD-ROM, and then insert your Windows XP
CD-ROM.

If you have misplaced, lost, or never received a Windows OS CD, borrow
one from a friend for use during this part of the installation.

See this article for complete installation details:

HOW TO: Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

And:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

kati_jo

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 08:50:32 PM »
Okay......I wiped the hard drive and started completely.  I reformated the hard drive.  The stupid thing is STILL locking up.  I just want to cry. lol  Could the video card cause this?  This computer was given to me and I was told that the video card was "too much" for the machine...ran hot etc.  I have opened the case and moved the fan back a bit so it is blowing directly on the video card.  Would the video card cause this mess though?

2k dummy

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 09:42:42 PM »
Heat can cause a lot of problems. To find out if that is the problem, open the case and leave it open. Get a desktop fan (not a computer fan - a regular household fan) and set it so that it will blow air through the case. Try to reboot and reload. If it still freezes up, check to make sure the power supply is adequate to support everything. These are the two main causes of unexplained lock ups and shutdowns.

kati_jo

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 11:57:45 PM »
well....the fan didnt help and I am pretty sure the power supply is adequate.  I cant seem to get anything to work now.  cant download the updates, cant do anything.  I give up....going to try another machine for now

merlin_2

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 12:36:54 AM »
dont give up.....ok where are we now... is winxp loaded? did you get any blue screens at all that you can remember...how old is your hard drive....and pc....do you have any anti-programs..

merlin_2

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 12:39:45 AM »
dont give up...... have look here>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=315222   and smile ;D

Mac

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2004, 01:06:08 AM »
Well....the fan didn't help and I am pretty sure the power supply is adequate.  I can't seem to get anything to work now.  Can't download the updates, can't do anything.  I give up....going to try another machine for now

Hello Katie-Jo, I would make sure that the RAM modules are properly seated as the contact pressure of many RAM modules is insufficient in the long term and the contacts can become erratic simply due to airborne moisture. Problems downloading often point to this being the problem.

(How much RAM does your computer have, btw?)

So, with the machine switched off and unplugged and disconnected from the modem/DSL internet connection, lay the computer on its right side with the left-hand cover panel off, touch the metal case with your left hand and hold down the power switch for ten seconds.

This is to even out any residual low voltage in the circuitry.

Unclip the RAM modules and ease them out of their bases. Make a note of the part numbers in your work-book in case you want to order more RAM in the future.

Then just put them back in again so that the contacts make a fresh contact. You might want to take them out and put them back in several times. Make sure that they are pushed well home and fully seated and then put the retaining clips back in to hold them in.

You can adopt the same procedure with the video card. (I had a sound card simply fall out once due to the lack of a retaining screw (OEM) after I moved a computer from one room to another.)

To check on the adequacy of your power supply use this site:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply

Add everything, as if it is ALL running at the same time, to calculate the MAXIMUM possible usage.

You should never use the abslute maximum but then it is not a good idea to run a power supply above 90% of its fully rated capacity.

(Computers should probably have a Wattmeter on them so that people can see just how much power they are using.)(Really the power supply should be part of an UPS and be external to the computer to allow more room inside the case, make maintenance easier and to reduce the casing temperature, in my opinion, as a mechanical & electrical Engineer.)

Also make sure that your main power supply is good and that there are no loose connections. ( I had a child user re-booting his parents computer by kicking the loose wiring!)

The wall socket should NOT be shared by any power appliance such as an electric fire or air-conditioner to avoid the possibility of voltage drop or inducing resistance into the wiring by overheating.)

BTW, if you ever use a cable reel, you should always reel out the full length of the cable otherwise the rolled up cable can act as an electro-magnetic coil, overheat, and either melt, or go on fire.

Mac

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »
Amazing! That is supposed to read "you should never be able to use the ab...solute maximum".

How did that ab... very *friendly* persone ... get in there? ???

Is this site haunted by any chance? ???

Don't forget to clean all dust out whilst you are in there.

I blow it out with the back end of a cylinder vacuum cleaner. Best done outside or on the porch or balcony, if you have one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:12:41 AM by Mac »

kati_jo

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2004, 02:05:46 AM »
XP is loaded...no blue screens that I recall...Not sure on the age of the PC or its parts...it was a "gift"  thats what I get from a free computer....last time I tried to load the Norton the computer kept crashing.  I tried to load the winME and it wouldnt let me...said I needed a newer version......and as far as taking the computer apart....not so sure about that.  I opened the case and put a fan on it.......but beyond that I am a little hesitant

Mac

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2004, 04:01:14 AM »
I downloaded the ASO and when it runs....the machine locks up.  I tried to re-install my Norton SystemWorks, the machine locks up, I tried an online virus scan, and you guessed it...the machine locks up.  It is worse now than it was BEFORE I reinstalled the XP. :-[ ???

Aha! Norton System Works is a BIG system resource hog, even with XP !!!

When you installed it did you do a default install and have everything starting when Windows starts, because, if is, this is usually fatal unless you have a big system!

So what is your hardware specification like?

Processor?
Amount of RAM?
Type of RAM?
Bus speed?
Hard-drive speed?
Hard-drive cache size?

You might be better to uncheck ALL Norton System Works items which are not directly related to the Anti-Virus and Firewall ... only!!!

If in doubt try asking Norton for advice, as they will be sure to want to help you.

Processor? Athlon? Pentium? PIII or P4 (I have an older PIII 1·0GHz)
Amount of RAM? I have 512Mb
Type of RAM? I have SDRAM
Bus speed? 133 MHz
Hard-drive speed? 7,200 rev/min (some are 5,400 rev/min)
Hard-drive cache size? 8·0Mb (older drives have 2Mb caches.)

It's a new Maxtor Diamondmax 6Y080P0 (81.96 GB) , btw. Magic!

BTW, did you do a hardware compatibility test before you installed XP on this older ME machine?

Try this from PC Pitstop http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready

kati_jo

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2004, 12:09:13 AM »
I do not know the specifics on the machine, and not sure where to locate them.  I have BOTH sides off the case and have a fan blowing into the machine.  Still locking up.  I looked at the power supply page...but since I dont know all specifics I dont know what to enter, and what the answer means.

merlin_2

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2004, 01:09:12 AM »
kati_jo.....when you say it locks up...what are you doing when this happens. for example playing games surfing the net...or windows does not load at all....did you put more ram in your system?either type msinfo32 in the run  box..to display system information or download this if you can>http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/belarc_download.asp
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 01:09:47 AM by merlin_2 »

kati_jo

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2004, 02:41:44 AM »
It ALWAYS locks up when I try to play an online game...and occasionally when I try to view pictures from a disc, or if I have several windows open.  Windows does load UNLESS I try to install the update for the Nvidia from windows update.  I personally have not put anything into this machine...It was a "gift" and I am not sure what extras may have been added.
Processor:     x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1205 Mhz
and the rest of the info Mac asked about...I dont know

merlin_2

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2004, 12:35:04 PM »
have you tried download the graphics update driver from nvida..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 12:36:05 PM by merlin_2 »