Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Problem  (Read 2390 times)

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Outlook Problem
    « on: December 01, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »
    Hello,

I keep getting the "failed to update headers" window. I deleted the old  pst folder to get rid of any problems but when I opened Outlook 2010 right after that it downloaded all the old emails again. Is there a way I can keep it from doing that? I want to start with an empty pst file and just have the emails from today on.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Outlook Problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
    Can you access your email via web browser?  Most, if not all, POP email accounts nowadays can be accessed by web browser, in addition to be retrieved with an email client such as Microsoft Outlook.  If you do not know whether you can access your email by going to a website to view it, we can help you determine that if you tell us what email service you are using.

Based on what you have told us, you are getting those old emails downloaded again because they still exist on the mail server from which Outlook retrieves them.   Normally,  if a POP email account, which your comments indicate you have, is set up in Outlook or some other email client/software, Outlook (or other ...) tracks what emails have been downloaded and communicates with the mail server to avoid duplicate downloading of messages.  This is how the process works unless the user sets Outlook to delete emails from the server once they have been downloaded.  This tracking data got destroyed when you deleted the old .pst file.  So, when you start using Outlook again, it no longer knows which emails were previously retrieved and, therefore, starts from the beginning.  Assuming you can access your email account via a web browser, you could do so and then delete all the old emails there.  Then, you could resume using Outlook and it will only be able to retrieve new email messages because the old stuff no longer exists on the mail server. 

Alternatively, you could change a setting in Outlook to tell it to delete emails from the mail server once they have been retrieved, i.e. downloaded to Outlook, retrieve all email, and then do a one-time cleanup of your emails in Outlook by sorting them in date order and deleting all old messages you no longer want.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »
      I am have the same problem still, mainly the "failed to update headers" part. I have uninstalled Outlook 2010 and deleted the outlook folder from my hard drive,the pst file and everything. As soon as I reinstall Outlook 2010 and open it the same information is there in Outlook, the same profile. And right away I get the same error message. What does it take to COMPLETELY remove Outlook 2010 from my hard drive so there isn't a trace of it there?

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
      Are you thinking of a complete removal of Outlook and then reinstalling it?  If not reinstalling, then how would you do email?

Cleof

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
        Agree, remove Outlook and clean the reg info, download and install the newest version. That's how I deal with a software issue like that.

Actually, I'm no fan of Outlook, it keeps returning errors occasionally, I recommend you to use gmail, it's even better in the looks and more convenient to use anywhere.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:58:24 AM »
          What I did was completely uninstall Outlook 2010, tried to remove the Outlook folder from Users, "Me", AppData, etc. to get rid of anything that had to do with Outlook. I thought I had gotten rd of it all, then I reinstalled Outlook and it immediately had all the info back in Outlook that was there before, like the "Saved" folder I made in it to save some of my emails. So obviously I missed some files/folders somewhere that had that information and as soon as I reinstalled Outlook it was there again. I have a Yahoo email account through AT&T but I don't like using a web browser for my email, I would rather download my email and store them on my computer.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:28:41 AM »
          Are you thinking of a complete removal of Outlook and then reinstalling it?  If not reinstalling, then how would you do email?
          This has not been answered.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
          You might try Thunderbird and see if that suits your needs better.
          https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Do you have Outlook configured to keep a copy of the message on the server?  If so un-tick and restart Outlook and then send and receive.

Like other has suggested you can access you email through the web site and simply delete the messages form there and remember to empty the trash and spam folders.
          "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 01:55:49 PM »
            I think I tried Mozilla a while back and it installed a bunch of things on my computer I didn't want and I had to run a malware program to get rid of it.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »
            I think I tried Mozilla a while back and it installed a bunch of things on my computer I didn't want and I had to run a malware program to get rid of it.

This is speculation at best...and unlikely true.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
              I think I solved the problem. I looked at my old hard drive that I still have set up with the old Windows 7 installed but don't use, it's just for storage mainly now, and looked at my Outlook account settings. They were completely different, it is set up as a POP3 instead of an IMAP so I changed my current Outlook settings to match it, I didn't have any problems with it, and now it is running fine it looks like.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »
              Glad yer fixed up...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "