Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Find 18 tricks you ca do with the Roku.  (Read 3272 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Find 18 tricks you ca do with the Roku.
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
Before you buy any new TV video streaming device, take a look at what you can do with a standard Roku dongle.
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/331464/18-hidden-roku-tricks-for-streaming-success

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Find 18 tricks you ca do with the Roku.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
I bought the Roku 1 model for $39 about 2 years ago and love it, however I wish I bought the better model that had a RJ45 network connection vs wifi only which the Roku 1 is. I ended up having to add a separate wireless router for the roku as for the wireless bandwidth would get choked off and latent if other devices were using the wifi and consuming bandwidth. Added a $20 refurb router for the roku to connect to and this got rid of bandwidth issues. So my families portable devices are on one wireless network on a different channel than the roku that uses the router that is dedicated for it.

One feature I like is this: https://www.plex.tv/ so I can host my own content from my computer to my TV through the plex service.

One feature I wish they added to the roku was ability to edit to add URLs to add other channels that are free or add a simple browser to it so you can navigate to some free web stream to watch whatever from around the world. Before teh roku I use to have a HTPC set up which was just a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT with a GeForce 6200 256MB AGP 8x video card and 1GB RAM with 40GB HDD. I had the HTPC connected to my flat screen tv over the VGA port and had PC speakers for sound. Ever since installing the roku, this HTPC got pulled out, but I do miss the ability to play anything I want which a HTPC was able to do.

I bought a chromecast device when they came out but didnt like that a computer had to be running playing/hosting the content. So the chromecast got tossed into a box of junk because once associated with your gmail account its non transferrable and junk so that was a waste of $35. If I need my computer to be running to put it onto my TV, I might as well have my laptop plugged directly to my TV over HDMI and not be consuming bandwidth casting to TV as well as internet traffic. So the chromecast was a disappointment.

The roku on the other hand can run as is stand alone and is used most of the time without the plex tv service. we have hulu, netflix, and a bunch of free stuff on it that we watch through free services that come bundled with the roku like www.crackle.com which I like for its selection of free movies and tv shows.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
From the PC Magazine article above, the only important weakness of the low-cost Roku is the infrared remote control.  The next step up uses a RF remote control.

Yes, the Roku likes to have lots of bandwidth on the local network. But now you can buy a WiFi extender, also called a AP, for a very reasonable price. It can provide another channel for other devices.
http://www.howtogeek.com/104469/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-simple-access-points/

You can find a good simple AP for about $25 if you shop around.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
I was told the Roku will only stream to 2 TV's at a time...any clarification on this ? ?

Cutting the cord is 1 of my New Year's resolutions...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »
If you want to watch the same thing on two tv's it can be done, but not 2 independent channels with 1 roku. The model I have at least doesnt support this which is the original Model 1. The model 1 had RCA or HDMI output as a choice, you have to pick one or the other. The HDMI output doesnt work on mine unless you connect the HDMI cable and then add power to the roku, the default is over the RCA cables.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 01:51:57 PM »
As far as I'm aware,  there is a 1:1 ratio of Roku to TV since the Roku (at least the 5 Roku 3s I own) connects via HDMI cable to the TV.  One nice feature about the Roku remote is that it has a headphone jack built into it with a volume control that makes it nice to listen to the TV when others are trying to sleep.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »
HDMI does not have a way to split the signal out to two TV sets.
DaveLembke explains that there is a model that has two outputs. Model 1.
Roku has a forum.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=71584
Some things have already been mentioned about splitters and cables and such. Consider this, like Knuckle said: the cost of the various equipment to split a single Roku off to two TVs versus the cost of a second Roku (the Roku 1 is $50, cheaper if you find it on sale somewhere). Cables and splitters and such can get close to, or even surpass, that total.
Now, if you're looking at showing a single stream on multiple screens, like in a bar or to a church with an overflow room, or something similar, then your idea is the right way, ... But, if you're looking to save money by having a single Roku feed the living room and the bedroom, a second Roku might be a better option
For  commercial use you can get a HDMI distribution box. But that costs a lot more than a Roku. For a cheap 4 port switch it will cost about $70.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 05:49:55 AM »
HDMI does not have a way to split the signal out to two TV sets.

UK 4.25 pounds (around $6) on Amazon