Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do you think this is a scam or is it legit  (Read 3003 times)

Eshlin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Do you think this is a scam or is it legit
    « on: December 25, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
    Hi,

I bought this hardrive offer yesterday. I thought this was a good offer at the time. However I reflected on it in the night and I started thinking it may be too good to be true. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-2TB-Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-USB3-0-Portable-External-Hard-Disk-Drive-/262776113689?hash=item3d2ead4a19:g:LusAAOSw44BYXkVk

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Do you think this is a scam or is it legit
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »
    It may be a true offer. Other vendors on eBay also offer very  low cost external hard drives in a simple enclosure. Toshiba is a famous brand. It has a 3 year warranty.

I don't think you will have any problem with it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »
    Suspiciously cheap. It could be a flash in the pan scam where they get as many people as possible to buy into it and then get up and run with the money. For that price tag I could see a 500MB or 1TB maybe, but 2TB just seems fishy at that price. I'd be ready to make a claim with paypal or your credit card on fraud on this one, but at this moment you need to give it time to see if it shows up. Given that its coming from china you might have to wait a month to get it or make a claim. I would check into how long of a window you have to make a claim on a purchase so that your not making a claim outside of say a 30 day window. I am not up on legalities and law, but have a strong feeling that you only have a limited period of time to make a claim and have that claim honored otherwise your the one taking the loss on a fraud purchase.

Not that long ago I found this article and found it very interesting: https://www.neowin.net/news/fake-chinese-500-gb-external-drive-is-one-clever-paperweight-literally

Here is another interesting scam... Drives bought and fakes of equal weight placed back into the boxes and returned for refund. The crooks then sold the drives on e-Commerce sites to make money. I guess they may have expected all failed drives to go back returned with no trail to the source of the fake drives.  ::)  https://www.clearusa.org/index.php/news/77-hard-drive-scam

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
    I wouldn't buy a bowling ball from eBay...
    That's just me though...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
    I wouldn't buy a bowling ball from eBay...
    That's just me though...

If the price is too good to be true, it might be. Thats what I think this other situation was possibly. On another website I heard about this punching bag coming from china, but in this article here they dont state the origin of the dirty laundry.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/21/unraveling-mystery-punching-bag-filled-with-dirty-laundry.html

As far as a bowling ball from ebay, coming from china, I could see the ball splitting and making for an inverse 7-10 split leaving the rest of the pins in place.  ::) ;D
    Long long time ago i was assistant manager of a bowling alley 1994-1995  :P On one of the bowling nights with black lighting and glowing pins pulling off a 7-10 split picking up the spare was a $20 shot where people were awarded $20 by the bowling alley.  :)  Very few people could pull it off and many tried for it. Rule was that only one 7-10 split payout per person per night, so that a pro bowler shark couldnt go there and walk with $200 per game. We had one guy that tried that too and on the 2nd 7-10 split we had to show him the house rules. It was $10 for 3 games per person, so they could potentially have fun and leave with an extra $10 per person with the $20 payout. They also had for perfect game of 300 we would give away 10 free bowling tickets so they can come back and bowl for free for 10 games or bring friends and share the free games such as 2 people 5 games free. Plus we still made the $1.50 shoe rental for people who didnt have their own shoes. Bowling alley did well until sold to new owners and the wife of the new owner liked to spend money on herself which caused the business to fail when wrong priorities of getting nails done and a new set of shoes vs paying electric bill etc.  ::) :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
    Toshiba Canvio 2TB goes for about $92 on Amazon. It looks like Amazon.cn has it for the equivalent of about 82 dollars, so a tad cheaper there. I don't think $38 is completely out there in terms of a low price, especially since Chinese sellers on ebay have to compensate for ship times to be competitive.

Also worth noting is that they've sold 147 of those as well as a number of other items, and have 100% positive feedback so far. Seems like a manufacturers outlet of some sort based on China.

I buy quite a lot off eBay and I've yet to be let down... Though I won't deny that I avoid overseas sellers.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.