Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 VPN/Wireless connection replacement  (Read 2725 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Windows 10 VPN/Wireless connection replacement
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:24:18 AM »
I've found the Windows 10 Networking foldout to leave something to be desired. This seems to be the case moreso for VPN connections, which aren't very common. The primary issue is that the foldout lists any available wireless and VPN connections- that's all fine- but clicking on one, rather than allowing connection or disconnection, will take you to another control panel window where you are provided with the same list and have to select the desired item again.

This is annoying because I am a rather heavy user of VPN tunnel connections, not because I use VPNs for anonymity or somesuch but rather because we use VPN tunnels to access both our main office servers as well as customer systems (Databases, Remote desktop, and even test our software remotely through the VPN etc.) so as a result this change to the behaviour from previous Windows releases get's on my nerves.

I've left feedback about this since the earlier insider builds, as have other users. Microsoft hasn't seen fit to address those concerns. There are workarounds, such as using a registry key to restore the Windows 8.1 network foldout, but it comes with it's own issues as it behaves oddly in some scenarios on Windows 10.

Anyway, I got sick of waiting and decided to slap together my own quick little menu for the Notification Area. It shows as a notification icon and right-clicking shows a menu populated by configured VPN connections and available Wireless networks, if any. Clicking on one either disconnects (if connected) or connects (if disconnected). VPN connections require an additional log-in step, but the credentials will be pre-populated if configured in Windows.

I've put the resulting program on Git Hub. It's also on my "new" Downloads page (In more consumer-usable installer form!). It has a limited set of options (Whether to start with Windows, The menu style, and whether to show VPN or wireless connections or both) but I've been using it the last few days and I've found it quite useful so I thought I'd spam share it here.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 10 VPN/Wireless connection replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:05:06 AM »
You are way over my head BC.
But a thought. You issue is with ergonomics** more than anything else. R
What would a nice GUI for VPN look like?
Can you build a thing that looks better and makes it easier to go where you want to go?
How do you feel about the VPN menus used  in Linux?
Like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzb95aE8Ho

Like I said, I have no idea. But it it is really an ergonomic thing, maybe yu could write your own GUI.

** ergonomics
 the study of people's efficiency in their working environment.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 06:42:57 AM »
I've left feedback about this since the earlier insider builds, as have other users. Microsoft hasn't seen fit to address those concerns. There are workarounds, such as using a registry key to restore the Windows 8.1 network foldout, but it comes with it's own issues as it behaves oddly in some scenarios on Windows 10.

Interesting that part of the core of 10 is 8.1 code so that a registry key will bring out 8.1 behavior as an option. I thought 10 was a total reconstruct. But reuse of code is nothing new, why reinvent the wheel sometimes. But then Microsoft reinvents it anyway in other areas to make a very ugly wheel with the spinner hub cap bling to sell an otherwise junk wheel that sure it rolls but isnt as pretty as it could be. Some stuff that Microsoft does though is about as messed up as removing the stem from the rim and relocating it elsewhere in the car. They might as well be volkswagon which used the spare tires air pressure as a means to pressurize the windshield wash reservoir so when you run out of windshield wash, and you get a flat tire, now your spare tire is flat too cause all the air was used from it.  ;D :o ::) :P

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/72bug/72T1-61.jpg  Instructions on disconnecting the windshield wash from spare tire.  :P   My Dad had a 71 Bug and thats how I knew of this odd pressurization system. And he ended up with a very soft spare when he had a flat as a result of this design. But years ago air was free so he just rolled on slowly to the first gas station to add air to the almost completely flat spare and while there get a plug put into the flat tire to fix that.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:24 AM »
How do you feel about the VPN menus used  in Linux?
Like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzb95aE8Ho
That looks like a specific product. It also looks to be geared towards actual Internet Tunnels, whereas my typical use case is to access network resources as if I was on a LAN; for example, I have to be connected to our Office VPN in order to work with Subversion, our internal JIRA pages, and the like. I don't think I've ever tried to conenct to a VPN on Linux, but 8.1 and earlier had a much more usable interface than Win10.

Can you build a thing that looks better and makes it easier to go where you want to go?

Like I said, I have no idea. But it it is really an ergonomic thing, maybe yu could write your own GUI.

That's  what I did- mentioned/explained in the last two paragraphs of my original posting :)

Interesting that part of the core of 10 is 8.1 code so that a registry key will bring out 8.1 behavior as an option. I thought 10 was a total reconstruct. But reuse of code is nothing new, why reinvent the wheel sometimes.

With my replacement program, when it initiates the VPN connection, it shows a dialog that looks to date from Windows XP. Not part of my program, but rather part of Windows, so there is quite a lot of older stuff hanging around.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.