Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lenovo y580 partition trouble  (Read 2635 times)

somethingJohn

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Lenovo y580 partition trouble
    « on: January 02, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
    Hi,

I own a Y580-M772CMH 15.6FHD/i7-3610QM/8G/ notebook with Windows 7 and a few weeks ago I used Ccleaner to clean the registry. Like the dumb stupid person I am I did not pay attention to what it was "cleaning".

Next time I booted up my laptop it failed to start Windows and gave the following message:

Check cable connection!
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
    No bootable device — insert boot disk and press any key

So next time I pressed F2 while booting to see:

Boot Device Priority
    Internal HDD: SAMSUNG MZMPC064HBDR-000L1
    SATA HDD: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    SATA ODD: Optiarc BD ROM BC-5550H
    Network Boot: Atheros Boot Agent

To me it looked like I still had both disks working so I put in a Windows ISO before boot to see if I could repair. The System Recovery Options screen showed me no known existing OS on the device.

So I powered down and used One Key Recovery which told me when I clicked to restore to factory conditions that the partition layout has changed.

Finally I used a bootable Partition Wizard and that showed me this:

Note the negative used value at disk 1.
    To my layman's eyes it seems like the SSD and HDD, that are normally combined by a Lenovo software Raid are now separate. And something I deleted with Ccleaner by accident caused it (probably).

Main thing is, I actually don't know what the problem is and so don't know how to proceed.
    I'm afraid my data is lost to me, which isn't a terrible loss, but am I correct in assuming this?
    I hope somebody here can explain and/or help.

Thank you in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lenovo y580 partition trouble
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
    Data is likely lost. Id install fresh the OS to the system and reinstall all software.

I would avoid use of CCleaner or other optimization tools unless its absolutely necessary. PC Doctor and all those registry fix tools are usually nothing but trouble. I am kind of surprised that CCleaner alone messed up your system this bad, but maybe it could have. I havent used CCleaner in years.

I had a system not boot after a registry fix years ago with Norton System Works 2003 which had a tool that would fix the registry. Well it fixed it so well that it killed Windows.  ::)  It was a total surprise and let down that Symantec would sell such a piece of junk that would kill a Windows installation like that it put Windows XP Home into a bootloop.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Lenovo y580 partition trouble
    « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
    Without details of the original RAID setup it's impossible to tell if your data is gone...or not.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "