Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox Add Search Engine  (Read 7434 times)

Raptor

Firefox Add Search Engine
« on: July 31, 2004, 08:23:48 AM »
The Firefox add search engine button doesn't seem to work.

I recall it working fine in 0.9.0, I did not use it in 0.9.1 but now that i have 0.9.2 installed it just won't work. When I click on it, nothing happens. I have reinstalled Firefox but that does not seem to work.

Is there a way to manually add a search machine?

2k dummy

Re: Firefox Add Search Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 10:17:55 AM »
Go to search engine's home page. Drag and drop the icon in the location bar to the personal toolbar.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 05:47:22 PM »
I am not quite sure what you meant, I assume you meant dragging the icon of the search machine (Dictionary.com in this case) onto the small search engine bar native to Firefox, correct?

If that is correct, it does not work. It shows a 'cannot perform action' icon

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 06:23:53 PM »
The personal toolbar is a line that will have 2 or 3 items that say Firefox (something). It is just below the location bar. Drag the icon and drop it on any blank space on the bar.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 04:54:57 AM »
That is not quite what I mean, I meant the Search engine next to the location bar.

I cannot add or remove search engines from there, it refuses to. I had allready done as you said when I installed 0.9.2 because I wanted to be able to quickly access Dictionary.com.

But I would still like to get my Add Search Engine option to work.

keithy397

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 10:53:25 AM »
Hi Raptor,

I am a major fan of firefox, better than sliced bread as far as I'm concerned and I had a quick read of your problem.  I followed what you desired to do and it worked no problem.  The only thing I can think of is....did you select 'dictionary.com' or the word 'Dictionary' cos it worked fine for me when I chose the latter.  It also worked with Alta Vista.  Can't see it being a problem with FireFox, it's TOO good!  Persevere, you'll get there.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 10:54:36 AM by keithy397 »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 11:15:17 AM »
I agree with you that Firefox works very well (However, I did notice a 'Netscape' error that keeps returning on certain websites) but I donot understand why my 'add search engine' refuses to be clicked. It cannot be opened. Not even uninstalling, cleaning my registry and then reinstalling will help.

It worked fine before, I am assuming this is a bug in 0.9.2 since it worked proper in 0.9.0.