Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failed to Query TCP/IP Settings  (Read 3627 times)

toda

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
Failed to Query TCP/IP Settings
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:07:27 AM »
I have two computers: assembled desktop running Windows XP, and an HP Laptop running V 10. My desktop connects to my Netgear router and TWC Ubee modem. I disconnected the Netgear router and wired directly into TWC Ubee Modem with both computers. Changed cabling to determine if it was a bad wire...laptop connects for now.

I ran Malwarebytes on my Desktop and no malware was detected. My local Area Connection status ~ Connected. Activity 0 packets. Connection status .... no IP, Subnet Mask, or Default Gateway. Diagnostics scan from auto repair: Could not retrieve current IP address. Seems I have a malware issue...any thoughts. Tommy
Tommy D.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Failed to Query TCP/IP Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »
1) I moved this to networking because it's not clear that this is a malware issue. We can always move it back at a later date.

2) If you believe it's a malware issue, please run a scan with an anti virus app (do you have one installed?) in addition to MalwareBytes. I'm guessing that will also come up negative.

3) Did this just start? Does the system display any other issues?

4) Could be a bad Ethernet card.

toda

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
2) If you believe it's a malware issue, please run a scan with an anti virus app (do you have one installed?) in addition to MalwareBytes. I'm guessing that will also come up negative. Ran Avast ~ no detection.

3) Did this just start? Does the system display any other issues?
No other issues that I have experienced.
I'm thinking it's not the Ethernet card since it shows it is connected - showing duration - and 100.0 Mbps. For some reason I can't enter service settings for the IP address.
Tommy D.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:32 AM »
I'm thinking it's not the Ethernet card since it shows it is connected - showing duration - and 100.0 Mbps. For some reason I can't enter service settings for the IP address.

Open up command prompt and perform the following from computer with problem.

Enter this instruction at the command prompt and either copy/paste the info from it here or share the IP, Subnet, and Gateway info:

Code: [Select]
IPCONFIG/ALL
Additionally run the following instruction to see if you can ping to google

PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM
If the ping is successful then its not network adapter but another problem.  If ping is unsuccessful then see if you can ping your router. Whatever gateway address is shown in the IPCONFIG/ALL output you will ping which is your routers IP to your local network

It might be 192.168.1.1 however it could be different:

PING 192.168.1.1

toda

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »
Thanks all who took time to reply to my issue...I have solved the problem with some time and thought. My Broadband and Local Network was confused...Local Network had all the appropriate checks for service, broadband was lacking check marks to enable TCP/IP connections to my router ~ NETGEAR. Once I checked all the boxes, I was able to connect. Thanks again for all your insight. Tommy
Tommy D.