Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I replaced my old hard drive with new one and it can't detect it  (Read 5994 times)

Nake

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I replaced my old hard drive with new one and it can't detect it
    « on: February 04, 2017, 02:01:10 AM »
    Hello first off I have a Windows 7 pro oa hp Hp compoq 8000 elite convertible minitower and when I got it the hard drive was trash so I bought a new one but that didn't work so I tried buying another and it still didn't work it keeps saying it can't detect my hard drive on black screen I have tried fixing cables and Changing start up pattern still nothing I'm not sure if I need the The recovery disk or not :c  idk what to do anymore please help me I really wanna have my own computer

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I replaced my old hard drive with new one and it can't detect it
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »
    BIOS doesnt detect the drive = Bad Cable, Bad Drive or *Non-Compatible Drive, Bad Power Connection from Power Supply to Drive, or the Drive Controller is dead on the motherboard. * It is very rare for a drive to not be compatible with a system especially since its SATA a worst case scenario should be that a newer faster drive is bottlenecked by an older controller but still function but slower than if it was in a modern build.

You said you got this and the original drive was trash, ... so it detected this drive, but the drive was damaged, and now a brand new drive is not detected at all?

What drive make/model is not working in this system?

Was this system trash picked or bought used... and if trash picked did this system get exposed to moisture such as left outside and picked up at a local dump etc?

Nake

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
      Ok so I'm not really sure how to go into the bios and "check to see if it's detecting it all I know is when. I put a brand new hard drive into the computer it says media test failure check cable then it goes to this screen that's says non-system disk or disk error now after u asked me to see if the mother board was broken I tested my moms hp hard drive in my computer and it went to starting screen but then it had an error also (I'm guessing because it's not Ment for my computer) then I started my comeputer with out a hard drive and then it said I'm starting my computer with no hard drive detected which means it was detecting my hard drive it's just a "non system disk" how do I fix this

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
      Hard drives need to have an OS installed on them to boot. You can either perform a clean install onto the hard drive by booting to a Windows DVD, or you can try to clone the old hard drive onto the new one. The latter requires putting everything as it was and installing the new HDD alongside the old one and using software like Macrium Reflect.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
      Diagnostic suggestions.
      See if that new HDD can be read or detected with another computer.
      If another computer sees it, assume the interface is bad.

See if your laptop can boot from a USB drive or a DVD.
      If so, get  a diagnostic DVD to check out the laptop.
      This link may be of some help:
      http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02491515
      HP Support Assistant
      Diagnostics can be accessed from HP Support Assistant on Consumer desktop products. Commercial products include HP Support Assistant, but the diagnostics are designed to be run from a CD/DVD or a USB device and are therefore not available through HP Support Assistant. For Commercial products, please refer to HP Vision Diagnostics. While most hardware components are testable for both Commercial and Consumer products, it is possible that some tests will not be available on all systems.
      BIOS Diagnostic tests

If the computer does not boot, and you do not have a Vision Diagnostics CD available, use the BIOS diagnostic tests . The HP Vision Diagnostics tests are built into the BIOS of your computer and are a quick and easy way to identify basic computer hardware problems.