Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow HDD write speed  (Read 3378 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Slow HDD write speed
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:14:54 AM »
Hi guys,

been a while but hope you're all well.

So to the issue.

Specs:
3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracuda, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, 8.5ms, NCQ, OEM
16gb RAM
FX-8350 8 core CPU
Windows 10

The disk has been checked and there is nothing wrong with it before anyone asks.

Now to the matter, the drive is running extremely slow and bottlenecking everything. If |I download a game on Steam which I'm currently attempting I'm getting write speeds around 150-250 kb/s write speed. The drive is currently using DMA. I did try switching to PIO to see what would happen and for about 5 minutes the drive jumped to around 35-40 mb/s write speed on Steam, but then it reverted to around 150 kb/s. I switched back to DMA and there was no change. Checked the controller drivers and windows says everything is up to date.

At a bit of a loss guys and hoping someone can give me some advice to sort this out.

Thanks in advance
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Slow HDD write speed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:57:42 AM »
It's possible the drive is failing, very low performance is often a symptom. Of course, you don't want to hear that but with a modern system like yours, low HDD performance isn't usually a  systemic issue, though switching to PIO was an interesting technique.

Did you use chkdsk with the /r switch to run a surface scan? /f  or no switch checks critical file system structures, but won't find issues from the hardware.

Of course, perhaps I'm a bit biased- I had the EXACT same drive in my own system, barely used, as a  third hard drive, just last week, and it started giving me similarly bad performance- I replaced it thinking i was being picky, but now the drive is nearly unusable when I tried to transplant it to another system, disappearing from the system, no longer surviving a basic checkdisk as it did at the time, fails the seatools short and long tests, etc. seems it barely survived the cloning process at all!

Best suggestion would be to run the bootable CD of Seagate's Seatools. You can at least fully verify that the drive has no bad blocks with the long test, but make sure to set aside a good number of hours to let it do so. I'd go so far as to say to even replace it before doing so, simply because the act of checking the disk may itself exacerbate the issue and turn it from a low-performance issue to a salvage operation, as I discovered with that very model.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:08:24 AM »
Hey BC,

Thanks
Yeah I did a check disk and returned nothing. Also used the seagate tools and ran every basic test and everything passed. May just end up being a new drive at this point but worried that it's win10 issue and I will still be in the same boat.

Frustrating to say the least
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »
I thought PIO was  the slowest mode...interesting.
Have you tried enabling UDMA yet and re-booting ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »
Newegg has many people with failures for that drive... I'd get your important data off of it and get a replacement under warranty and hopefully the replacement is better. BC's drive should also be covered under warranty as well for replacement.

I have been kind of nervous with my newer Seagate drives ever since they moved their manufacturing to china. I have seen frequency of drive failures increase. I use to feel safe myself with a new Seagate drive and these days I replicate my data to multiple drives for fear of data loss. I have a 3TB external drive that is a seagate and not sure of the actual drive inside the case, but after I bought my external I read online that it was manufactured at their new location in China vs their prior location that had better quality control. Because I dont use the 3TB external much I suppose I limit the odds of it dying it might only have 48 hours of runtime on it since I bought it. But I dont have the trust in it to have it as my sole backup location, I have a 4TB Western Digital external that I made a copy of the 3TB seagate to.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
I had a thought regarding that PIO/UDMA Switch seeming to increase speed as well.

My thinking is that it may be relating the speed that the logical device is accepting data, and until a buffer is full, it would effectively be "full" speed, and then afterwards would slow down. No way to prove it, really; but switching modes may be flushing some I/O buffers, and they provide faster thoroughput from Steam's perspective until they are filled.

It's highly unlikely to be related to Windows 10, though.

get a replacement under warranty and hopefully the replacement is better. BC's drive should also be covered under warranty as well for replacement.

Seagate Cut the warranty period for the drives from 3 years to one year starting with drives purchased after 2012. I bought mine in February 2014 so it's a year out of warranty. It was via TigerDirect so there is no warranty other than the manufacturers, in my case.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
Looking over the comments it seems to be the consensus that the hard drive probably has some kind of problem that is not ported by the diagnostic tools. I am rather inclined to think that may be the case.
Nowadays good quality hard drives are not expensive at all. So it might be a better investment to just buy a new hard drive rather than spend a lot of time on trying to figure out the exact cause of this abnormal behaviour.
possibly you could use that drive only for backup storage and then use a smaller less expensive hard drive as your main drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
BTW... good to see you again...Hope all is well.
Take care,
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "