Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File not showing what I named it.  (Read 2118 times)

Needhelp321

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    File not showing what I named it.
    « on: March 25, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
    I'm putting movies from my computer onto a Lacie Fuel. The Lacie Fuel is basically a wireless hard drive that you can connect to on your devices to play media from. The only problem is, when I open up the app, there are some files there that didn't take the name I gave it. If I go to the details tab when right clicking on properties on the file, it has the same name as the one on the media app but renaming that doesn't change it in there either. I've looked through the files with MKVToolNixGUI and tried both deleting and renaming the title field in there, but still no luck. I'm not sure where it's pulling the name from nor how to change it. Does anyone know?

Needhelp321

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: File not showing what I named it.
      « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
      Ok, so I just put one of the movies as an MKV file on the drive (I'm converting the MKV files to MP4 files and putting them on then.) and the MKV file showed up with the proper name while the MP4 files say the wrong name.

johananj

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:17:37 PM »
        Some file systems don't allow lengthy filenames. They trim it down and rename it. It may be one of those scenarios. But i'm not sure.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
        Taking a quick look at the product page, it supports .MP4 but not MKV for it's own video features, so given your MKV file remained unchanged, I suspect that the device itself may be internally cataloging supported file types, renaming them to a hash or something.

How to stop it though, I've not found anything on that. It's difficult to predict how these "Smart" External Hard Drives will behave sometimes, and any inbuilt functionality like this is definitely not well documented to the point of knowing how to prevent it in most cases.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.