Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop shut down when on battery . From Windows 10  (Read 3845 times)

Phelix2003

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    My laptop shut down when on battery . From Windows 10
    « on: April 23, 2017, 04:43:24 AM »
    Hello all,

I have a strange issue on my laptop (DELL XPS L702x).
    I've been working for year on this computer with Windows 7 without any concern at all.
    And from the day I upgraded my computer on Windows 10, my computer started to have an issue when I'm on Battery (the power not plugged in ;-)). When I remove the power supply , after a moment (this can be from 5 min to more than 1 hour), the computer suddenly stops. When I say stops it is an hardware shut down (not a windows closing), like if you hold the power button long.

I did a some search on the web but did not find exactly the same thing as I have.
    I'm 100% sure this problem is a software issue coming from Windows 10. Why? Firstly I never had any behavior like this on Windows 7. And even more I still have Windows 7 on another partition and it is working well. Secondly my battery is recent and every time well charged when the issue occurs. And finally, from my searches on internet, I could more or less find where this can comes from. I did remove the file "Cmbatt.sys" from system32/driver and from that time no more this problem. But unfortunately I do not have the battery management in windows (battery level icon, battery low warnings).

Even if this partially solved my concerns I would like to correctly solve it and at least understanding what's really that issue.
    Does any one of you have an idea where is this coming from and any vision of stable solution?

Thanks,

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My laptop shut down when on battery . From Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
    What does the Windows Event logs show?

My thoughts are that your battery might not be measured correctly and so it might say you have 75% battery left and it might really be 12% etc, and then it drops out because your battery is completely spent.

To test to see if its the battery completely spent. Keep it disconnected from power supply and see if you can get it to run for any lengthy length of time after this shut down situation. My thoughts are that the battery being spent the laptop will either not boot at all off the battery or if it does it will shutdown pretty quickly again. If it stays running for another 10 minutes or longer after this happens then its something else going on.

Being that its a laptop that is aged, you might be looking at a battery replacement as the fix to it dropping like a stone on you, however the wrongful reporting of battery life could be another issue.

If your doing anything important on this, I would keep it plugged into wall power. If you want to just do away with this problem vs going through the process of letting it crash hard again and trying to reboot after this to see if the battery holds the computer up for a length of time to verify the battery charge amount, you could pick up a battery for this laptop not to expensively.

I have 2 older laptops that tell me I have 100% charge and when I use them with power disconnected, they only last about 5 minutes tops and then they shutdown. One of them the battery dives so fast that Windows power management isnt able to react fast enough to safe shutdown and so I have seen it sense that the battery is spent and then 5 seconds later its blacked out shut off because the battery is spent, so there wasnt enough juice for a graceful shutdown. These laptops run Windows 7 and not Windows 10. They are about 7 years old. Looking online I see comments on this model back to 2011 so your battery may need to be replaced.

Phelix2003

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
      Thank you Dave!

I thnink the Battery is still fine (less than 1 year old). And on W7 it  usually last more than 90mins...
      Alos when it shut down, I have to wait for 5 sec and then I can restart it and it is working well on the battery for a long. And the value display looks for me normal (based on the fact I'm used to work with this computer... nothing strange on this point).

I did not check the event log. I'll try to make it happen again and will check it!

I've read on the web this driver is the one providing the information about power status to others applications. (Like the graphic card)... I'm pretty sure the issue is coming from windows power management or other peripherals that adapt their behavior depending on the power is plug or not. So far I have set all the parameters I could find as identical with plus or not plug status. How can I know which processus is accessing to this Cmbatt.sys driver? Does anyone knows if there is other hidden  power management parameters in( registers for exemple)?

Thank,

Roely

Rookie
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:56:10 AM »
        Hi

I had the same problem with my new MSI-computer, windows 10.
        I've sent the laptop back to MSI, and they replied they found no battery issues.

They have reset my laptop, and the problem seems te be solved... (for now).

So we can conclude it's not a hardware problem?

grtz