Microsoft > Windows NT/2000

Can't install .NET Framework 2.0: Can't open file "vs_setup.msi"

<< < (6/6)

BC_Programmer:
There is no secret meeting place where members receive instructions and are told not to post on certain other members threads. I was actually asleep until about 10 minutes before the post I'm quoting. Either way, I'm not particularly motivated to reply. Some spots of text are gibberish, presumably via translation, and I suspect this might be the case both ways, as some seemingly clear english text seems to get interpreted poorly. The reason I was pressing so hard on the SP4 point is because I got very similar errors when I attempted to install .NET 2.0 SP1 onto a W2K install with no Service Packs in a VM, and the shorter replies leaned towards (to me) the domain of "tell them what they want to get more suggestions!" Which I am all to familiar with:

"HI we have issues with your software on Windows 95"
"We don't support Windows 95"
"Did I say Windows 95, I meant Windows 98! It says 'This software is not supported on Windows 95'"

Another reason is the unique software install. Large Aftermarket patches like KernelEx for Windows 2000 for example. They are interesting but they certainly make any sort of diagnostics or even troubleshooting by trying to reproduce the issue difficult, and now we're getting into questions about specific dll files, replacing system-level DLL files arbitrarily, etc.

Since I had no issues installing .NET 2.0 SP1 on a relatively clean Windows 2000 install, aside from Microsoft's own KB article I don't see what else I'd have to add.

antoniu200:

--- Quote from: BC_Programmer on April 26, 2017, 11:54:48 AM ---There is no secret meeting place where members receive instructions and are told not to post on certain other members threads. I was actually asleep until about 10 minutes before the post I'm quoting. Either way, I'm not particularly motivated to reply. Some spots of text are gibberish, presumably via translation, and I suspect this might be the case both ways, as some seemingly clear english text seems to get interpreted poorly. The reason I was pressing so hard on the SP4 point is because I got very similar errors when I attempted to install .NET 2.0 SP1 onto a W2K install with no Service Packs in a VM, and the shorter replies leaned towards (to me) the domain of "tell them what they want to get more suggestions!" Which I am all to familiar with:

"HI we have issues with your software on Windows 95"
"We don't support Windows 95"
"Did I say Windows 95, I meant Windows 98! It says 'This software is not supported on Windows 95'"

Another reason is the unique software install. Large Aftermarket patches like KernelEx for Windows 2000 for example. They are interesting but they certainly make any sort of diagnostics or even troubleshooting by trying to reproduce the issue difficult, and now we're getting into questions about specific dll files, replacing system-level DLL files arbitrarily, etc.

Since I had no issues installing .NET 2.0 SP1 on a relatively clean Windows 2000 install, aside from Microsoft's own KB article I don't see what else I'd have to add.

--- End quote ---

I did include a "maybe he's busy option" in my previous reply. Anyway, the Windows 2000 installation fall into some wierd error where any Windows program (especially explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe) would "report errors and crash", reason why I had to do a whole reinstall of the thing. So, I reinstalled it and .NET Framework 2 SP1 finally got installed. But now, guess what? Outlook Express security update won't install! Lucky I don't use that thing anyway… Also, Windows Installer still has "problems", even if the service now responds to my commands. Why? Don't ask, because this time I really didn't do anything to it. But I'm ignoring installing ESET on Windows 2000 anyway at this point, I somehow managed to get IOBit Malware Fighter latest version on that PC, ran a scan and put it to shut down the PC after removal. And guess what happened? "It's now safe to turn off your computer" message! Never saw that in my life, to be honest! Anyway, do you think that this "IOBit Malware Fighter" thing will be enough for a PC that is used once a month? I'm planning to install Windows 2000 on my old Toshiba Sattelite A200, as that thing can't handle XP how I would like it to.

BC_Programmer:
IOBit is a rather shady Chinese company. Their malware fighter in particular stole things from MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and is otherwise not particularly good IMO.

On "old" systems I don't install security updates (Beyond what might be rolled into Service Packs of course) and don't install AV software either (which I don't use anyway). Personally I find AV software to often be as invasive and problematic as being infected to begin with, the only difference is intent.

antoniu200:
You think it would be fine to let it without any antivirus/antispyware? Or what do you mean?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version