Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AD HOC Voice Communication for Android Devices that are offline?  (Read 4130 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Checking to see if anyone knows of an AD HOC Wireless Voice Communication app that would work on android devices?

Was hiking the other day with friends in woods and was thinking it would be nice to not have to yell back and forth to each other and we didnt have radios with us, but we did have our smart phones with us, BUT there was no cell tower in range so the phones were worthless other than for knowing what time it was and offline apps.

I was then thinking these have wireless network adapters in them.... if there was an AD HOC app made then 2 devices in range of each other you could communicate over a P2P wireless network between 2 smart phones as if you had walkie talkies within whatever range the wireless works for the phones.

So I figured I'd ask to see if anyone knows if there is an app or not that works offline in AD HOC mode so that the phones can talk P2P and over their own wireless in an area that has no wireless network to hop onto?

Might be a fun project for someone if they are looking at making a android app. I wouldnt know where to begin with it. Biggest thing is that range of wifi between 2 phones wouldnt be that far so a set of walkie talkies would be better.

To me it seems as though this could be done. App would have a AD HOC discovery feature to discover another smart phone to pair to for P2P and know the pairing by hardware address of the wireless. Both smart phones or android devices agree to connect and then the session stays active for 2 way communication until app is closed or muted etc. Then you could walk through woods with a friend such as if hunting and 100ft apart without having to make hand gestures that the other doesnt see or even worse yelling back and forth to each other which scares the game away that your hunting.  ::)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: AD HOC Voice Communication for Android Devices that are offline?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »
Yes. Look on Google Play for:
Two Way : Walkie Talkie
Two Way is a walkie talkie application that allows any number of users to talk to each other instantly. There is no signup required and no personal information is ever collected. Two Way's simple user interface is easy to use. Start talking to your friends, co-workers, or family members now.

Two Way acts like a traditional walkie talkie. You can select the channel number or location using a map and talk to anyone in the same channel. It supports running in the background with minimal battery usage.

With the release of Two Way Walkie Talkie for Android, it is now a cross platform application. Talk to your friends using Android devices or other types of smart phones.
But I have not used it.  :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
"Bluetooth Walkie Talkie" seems to be the only app that fits the bill. All the others appear to use wifi or wireless service to communicate between endpoints, which of course isn't going to work without either. "Two-Way:Walkie Talkie" would be useless without Internet via Wifi or a cell signal for example. It looks like BlueTooth Walkie Talkie can work locally via Bluetooth.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
Unfortunately, Bluetooth would not be a good option due it's short range.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
Unfortunately, Bluetooth would not be a good option due it's short range.

Yah, I was thinking wifi is short range anyways. If the app is free I can try the bluetooth version between 2 android phones and have my daughter on one and myself on other and see what kind of distance we get before it acts up as well as walk into woods with trees between us and see as well..

Thanks for everyones help on this  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
Just for reference, Bluetooth does not have to be short range.
See here:

Dispelling Common Bluetooth Misconceptions

Bluetooth technology is not limited to short-range connections however, offering three ranges of standard range connectivity, as shown in figure 1. With class 1 Bluetooth devices transmitting at 100mW, which have a standard range of approximately 100 meters or 328 feet, range is comparable to that of an 802.11b WLAN device.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
I consider 300 feet to be short range...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 06:36:23 PM »
Well, Dave Mentioned ~100ft in the original post.

That said, 300 feet is only for Class 1 Bluetooth, which is not something found on smartphones.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
Without a nearby wireless router  as a relay, the AD- HOC range will be short. Maybe 300 feet, or less.

Two Android apps:

Intercom for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidintercom

Wi-Fi Talkie FREE
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remaller.android.wifitalkie_lite