Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 lost one of my RAID Drives  (Read 3177 times)

Macone701

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 10 lost one of my RAID Drives
    « on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:36 AM »
    I seem to have a problem with one of my RAID drives.   It is RAID 0 (Stripped).  I am using Windows 10 on an ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI Mother board with 4gb memory and a Core 2 Quad Intel Processor  .   I have multiple drives including one SSD (The C Drive).   Two other drives are RAIDED and are fine.   I have several computers and a smart TV.   I have an entertainment center I built from scratch which includes a ROKU.  The ROKU has PLEX, a native file sharer program and EMBY Media Server.  That is where the problem began.   At first I was able to stream all of my photos, music, and Video to the ROKU.   Once everything was shut down. . . attempts to watch video on the next day ended in an error message and failure.    After a while. . .  I noticed that Windows 10 on the server machine was NO LONGER acknowledging my V Drive which is a RAID 0 drive I use just for video.   I have tried hitting the Control + I on boot and that shows the Video RAID drive normally, but when the computer gets to the home page in the program. . .  NO V drive can be found.  It acknowledges the other RAID drives but NOT the Video drive.   Every time I change the configuration with the Control + I and boot up, Windows 10 asks me to verify that it is me by entering my PIN. . . which I do. Problem is . . . . STILL no V Drive shows up in Windows 10.    Does anyone know how to fix this problem?   ???

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 lost one of my RAID Drives
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »
    Under Disk Management does it show it there, but without a partition?

I have seen before where a RAID set will break and drives making up the RAID are no longer paired by the OS. The BIOS or Pre-Boot RAID configuration might show the RAID set as good to go, but not joined with Windows anymore.

Hopefully you have a redundant copy ( backup ) of all important data for your V drive, so its just a matter of creating a new partition index to this RAID set and then format the V drive and then copy the data back to the V drive from external backup source etc.

* One of your drives could have a problem that caused this. I would run crystaldiskinfo and make sure there are no error or warning messages as for you could have a drive that is failing that caused this. To loose the RAID after a reboot it could be that one of the drives took too long to boot and pair with the RAID controller and OS or if power was killed to the system without proper shutdown you can corrupt data and break it that way as well.

Macone701

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
      Thank you for your response.   The native Computer Management utility does NOT show the drive(s) at all.   I have tried that multiple times.   The BIOS correctly shows the drive(s) The system does NOT.

Macone701

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
        I did try the crystaldiskinfo you suggested.   It showed my external HD B: and one of my RAID drives D:  but does not show the C drive or V drive.   

Macone701

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
          For those who like to tinker. . . WARNING!   I found my problem.  I could not see my RAID drives in Windows 10.   I did some research on RAID drivers under Windows 10.   One poster said that the Windows 10 / ASUS motherboard used a PROMISE Raid controller.    I searched the web for such a software for the controller.   Found two.   First one refused to install.   Second one installed but caused my computer to crash.   Worse. ..  it would not boot up to the GUI.    In desperation,  I put the October / November 2016 build of Windows 10 into the CDROM.   I walked away from it for the night at the opening screen.   NEXT morning . . . to my surprise. . . it had booted to the GUI.    I still could not see my Video Raid drive. . . but I was just happy to be able to use the system.
          A few nights ago. . . I looked at the "Storage Controlers" in the Control Panel.   The PROMISE controller was still active.    When I rolled back the Promise driver. . .  it defaulted to the "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller" .    The Promise driver was gone (I selected to remove driver and software selection). . . when I rolled back the driver.   After reboot. . . I noticed my RAID drives.   Fortunately,   I have been a BIG supporter of Backup Software and had a very recent backup of the HD's in my system.   I was able to re-construct my system to where it had been before the trouble.

Thanks to all who offered help.    It is not easy to diagnose someones computer without being there.   I just wanted to tell everyone how I solved the problem.  I am now back to full service.

By the way,   I have been using Ocster 9 backup . . until it was bought out by Ashampoo.   I now use Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 and will be going to 11 soon.   SAVED my bacon more than once.

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
          Great to hear that you got it all back up and running. Looking at what you shared, do you think an updated driver came through and started the mess? I had an issue with an "optional" windows update years ago ( thinking 10 years ago) killing a driver on me, so I avoid optional updates unless its to fix an already existing issue.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
          In desperation,  I put the October / November 2016 build of Windows 10 into the CDROM.   I walked away from it for the night at the opening screen.   NEXT morning . . . to my surprise. . . it had booted to the GUI. 

I'm confused...does this mean you ran a repair install ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Macone701

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
            I would truly love to say that an update did it, but the truth is that I got bad information off the web and obtained the "Promise" drivers myself.  Some how the DLNA program had knocked the Video Raid drive from view and I was trying to get it back.   I was NEVER able to get it back until I rolled back the errant driver and re-did the drive (deciding to make it a mirrored drive instead of stripped).
            I came out with less space on a mirrored drive but it is much safer.  I have been working with computers and programs since the 1980's and I have made thousands of choices.  Most have been great. . . but a few have been like this one.  . . Not so good.   Fortunately,  it was relatively easy to fix once I knew what had happened.

Macone701

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
              I did not run a repair install.   It looks as though that would have fixed nothing anyway.   I knew it had something to do with the "Promise" raid controller as the system said it was a problem.   I finally decided to try rolling back the driver. . . which, in my case worked great.  (Thank Goodness).

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
              Good news indeed...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "