Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Selling iPad 2  (Read 4310 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Selling iPad 2
    « on: May 06, 2017, 02:55:58 AM »
    I would like to sell our iPad2 but wonder if that is allowed by Apple or if there are pitfalls? I have never sold a used computer. I have erased all contents using the iPad reset function and it is ready (I think) to be set-up by a new user. I saw one for sale on eBay and description said iCloud was locked. What does that mean? Thanks.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Selling iPad 2
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 05:54:27 AM »
    If you've reset everything then you are fine to sell it, nothing wrong with doing that at all. The iCloud lock ones are ones that have an iCloud account attached to them where the seller doesn't know the password, as you can imagine you should probably avoid buying ones as they are likely stolen.etc

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
      If you've reset everything then you are fine to sell it, nothing wrong with doing that at all. The iCloud lock ones are ones that have an iCloud account attached to them where the seller doesn't know the password, as you can imagine you should probably avoid buying ones as they are likely stolen.etc

That is exactly what I told my wife. Listing actually says "for parts only". I believe Apple will help you unlock if you can prove you are legit. I have my original receipt with model and serial number so I am good to go. Thanks for your help.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
        I sold it! Two quick questions to be sure I have completely scrubbed it before I ship. When I reset using "Erase all contents and settings", are all apps I installed (as opposed to Apple system apps) also erased? If not, will any of my info on those apps still be there? I have it ready to go but wonder if I need to set it up to delete apps and then do one more complete reset. Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
        Reference:
        https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1569/en_US/ipad_2_user_guide.pdf
        Manual for iPad 2

However, some videos on You Tube suggest you need to do more that just reset the iPad to wipe you data. here is one:
        https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&hspart=iry&p=erase+all+data+in+mipad+2#id=2&vid=7d7f177ad3726be3a9822540af912f8a&action=click
        Also, other Apple devices are considered.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
          Thanks. I am confident that iPad is wiped clean but now I may have a new problem. I included a copy of my receipt in the eBay description as proof I am original owner. In reading various articles re unlocking iPads, it occurred to me that new owner could go to Apple with receipt and perhaps get access to my iCloud password, etc. Is  this possible? Should I call Apple?