Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10S - Some info on it and my thoughts  (Read 5941 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 10S - Some info on it and my thoughts
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »
Windows 10 S

Interesting Read on this. Coworker hit me up on this today and I looked into it. Looks like its a crippled yet different build of 10. Security basically strengthened by removal of shell and only able to install apps through Microsoft Store.

Looking over this, I have no need for Windows 10 S. I tried out a Chromebook and I dont like the restrictions that they have. I like being able to work with the inner workings of the system vs having no access to the heart of the OS that I have had access to for over 30 years. Chromebook and Windows 10S mainly is best for people who are happy with whatever apps the OS supports and offers but by which they wont ever have a need to muck with the inner workings of the system or make their own programs to run on it.

Myself, I use shell a lot and so its not really for me. Coworker friend said comment of its the greater push to move to Linux. But after reading up on this, its not an OS to replace Windows 10, its just a stripped down version mainly with Microsoft STORE in mind for revenue. Additionally you wont be installing 10S on your system, you would have to buy specific devices that were preinstalled with Windows 10S, but by which if the 10S is too crippling you can pay to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional. It appears that as of this article, there is no option to upgrade from 10S to 10 Home edition.

The price tags of the devices to run Windows 10S to me seems foolish. The article has the price at around $1000 for these devices that will run Windows 10S. Google Chromebooks you can pick up for around $150-$200, sometimes cheaper if a model is on clearance. I dont really see Microsoft hurting Google on this one.  They should have some lower end processing power lower cost devices with the Windows 10S OS if they want to give Google some competition.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3194280/windows/windows-10-s-faq-everything-you-need-to-know-about-microsofts-streamlined-operating-system.html

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Windows 10S - Some info on it and my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »
I was about to agree with you 100 %.
But I read this:
Microsoft’s bolstering Windows 10 S with a Windows Intune Education tool that allows you to configure a system image using a wizard, then slap it on a USB key that can be used to installed that customized version of Windows 10 S on any PC in under 30 seconds. That’s fast deployment. Myerson said a school in Colorado set up over 600 laptops in a single day using 30 of these Windows 10 S USB sticks.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193700/windows/meet-windows-10-s-a-streamlined-simplified-windows-store-only-os-for-schools.html
This can help Microsoft move ahead in the education market. Deployment in under 30 seconds. Hard to believe!

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
Interesting find Geek ..... as per article I read states trick question with following info,.... I took it that it was like android devices where they are flashed by manufacturer with the OS, some devices by which you cant jail break them and the OS that came on them is on them for the life of the device with only updates if updates pushed down from manufacturer such as my LG smart phone running Android 4.4.2 :

How much does Windows 10 S cost?

Trick question!
You won’t be able to buy Windows 10 S by itself, only on devices that come with it preloaded.

And your article says its wide open with ...

slap it on a USB key that can be used to installed that customized version of Windows 10 S on any PC in under 30 seconds.

If able to install through USB stick to devices, this kind of changes things as per.... if only for devices that come with it, is there code that tests the hardware preinstallation to make sure that its being installed on a Microsoft Approved device etc.  :-\  Maybe the key is nested in the BIOS like UEFI on Windows 8 and newer computers to protect it from installation on non-microsoft approved devices.

To me it seems as one of these articles has wrong facts ...  ::)    :-\

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
This was a detail I missed.
Software support’s a key part of educational computers as well. Microsoft’s tossing in a free one-year subscription to Minecraft: Education Edition with Windows 10 S laptops, and making Office 365 for Education free to schools. In addition, any current Windows 10 Pro PC being used by a school can be flashed to Windows 10 S for free. Microsoft’s also adding classroom-focused capabilities to Microsoft Teams.
From this, imagine a school that already  has a lot of cheap notebook PCs running Windows 10 and they want to go with windows 10 S.

In other words, from 10 to 10 S is a step up for the school.The 10 S would be a more structured, controlled and managed thing. The sort of thing badly needed in schools.
Unfortunately, it would deprive the students of learning about all the goo and bad things your can do with a computer. But most students need to learn  the good first, and do the bad later.

So it was not a full deployment of Windows 10 on a blank computer. But, like you said, it follows the Android model. There is already a core OS and the update just adds to what is already three.

Still, that is an improvement. Going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 can take over an hour. Microsoft now claims the going from 10 to 10 S should only be a few seconds. Makes sense.