Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics Card for PCI slot - DELL Optilex GX520  (Read 4117 times)

2X

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Graphics Card for PCI slot - DELL Optilex GX520
    « on: June 07, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
    Hello,
    I have an old DELL Optilex GX520. I replaced the HDD with an SDD and I saw on the motherboard a PCI slot (the slot on the picture). Because it has an on board graphics card 256MB, can I install a better graphics card with higher memory on the PCI slot. Also, after a searching on the internet I couldn't find a low profile PCI graphics card and I found only PCI-E. Sorry if I have write something wrong (I am not professional PC technician).

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Graphics Card for PCI slot - DELL Optilex GX520
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
    Yes, but wait a bit and I will find or make a photo...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »
    Yes, however, Finding not only a PCI Graphics card, but one that is low-profile is going to be the part that gives you trouble.

PCI graphics cards have not been manufactured for a number of years.

I found some on NewEgg, but this is the only one that seems to fit the bill entirely (and is in stock):

9400GT

Additionally, you can also search for specific models on eBay. the 9400 looks to go for about $70 used there for example.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
    OK, I am back Found an old photo of my old Gx-520 motherboard.

Notice they left out something. Missing is another connector that is the one you need.
    I think the missing connector is the one you should have. There are just too many kinds of 'PCI' connections that it can drive you crazy.
    From a google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+the4+PCI+connector+on+a+motherboard&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuuqOPi63UAhUV52MKHacbDtgQ7AkIPw&biw=907&bih=393#imgrc=oLeduTJUSaBH-M:
    Click on the above to see a collection of slots that are found on motherboards. Some are called 'PCI' something.

I do not mean to discourage you, but be prepared to get a card that is not right for your board. Best be is to find a local expert that can show you some cards that might fit.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
    OEM motherboards had different SKU's/releases, as Dell allowed customers (or retailers) to customize the systems. Chips, sockets, and  pin headers are often removed or absent in some versions and available in others, based on how the system was originally ordered.

In this case I've found at least 4 different arrangements.

The lengthened PCI slot is a Riser slot, for installing a Riser card to install up to three PCI Cards in. It can also be used as a "Normal" PCI Slot.

There is a model of the motherboard which has only a single PCI Slot. This is the model the OP appears to have.

One PCI Slot - (notice the missing Riser slot)

Another model has two PCI slots:

Two PCI Slots

Another model, the one in your image, Geek, has one PCI Slot and one PCI Riser slot.
    PCI Slot and Riser Slot

The highest end model has the PCI Slot, the Riser Slot, and an AGP slot.
    PCI Slot, Riser Slot, and AGP Slot

As the OP only has a PCI slot, a PCI card is effectively their only option, and it must also be low profile.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.