Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Struggling, Dos 6.22 wired networking with Window 10 (CNC mill)  (Read 3253 times)

Ranchero50

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello, looking for some insight on getting my Dos 6.22 driven CNC mill talking to my new Windows 10 desktop via wired cables and an old Linksys switch.  Good old dos networking through TCP/IP protocol.  This setup worked well with my Xp desktop (hard drive failure) but I'm struggling to get 10 talking.  While learning the new desktop over the past couple months I changed my old LMHOST and HOST files, probably needlessly adding more confusion.  My shared directory on the 10 machine is {\\shop\users\jamie\CADCAM}  Now I'm unsure if that script needs to be on the dos machine.

Current HOST on the mill and LMHOST on both machines refer:

192.168.3.2 CADCAM
    192.168.3.100  DX32

The V10 machine Ethernet shows the correct 192.168.3.2 IP address (IPV6 shut off).  I do not have a gateway listed under the IPV4 properties nor do I have any DNS servers listed.  It's been a long time since I messed with DNS or WINS and I do not understand if the V10 home group will effect the network.  I feel like I'm almost knowledgeable enough to get in trouble and did.

Reaching out for any thoughts or ideas.  I feel that I'm close but missing something obvious.  My Google-fu is pretty strong but not good enough for this one.

Thanks in advance,
    Jamie
    Hagerstown MD

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Struggling, Dos 6.22 wired networking with Window 10 (CNC mill)
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
    If I remember correctly, MS-DOS uses NetBIOS for things like File Sharing. You might need to force that on in Windows 10.

Looks to be Available via:

Network and Sharing Center, Properties on the appropriate adapter, "Internet Protocol Version 4" in the list, then Properties- In the dialog, click Advanced, and on the WINS tab there are a set of option buttons to configure NetBIOS. You probably want 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ranchero50

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »
      Thanks, I've been there before and I realized my setup is supposed to talk via DHCP and noticed that my DHCP is not enabled.  Where I think my problem is that I don't have a legitimate DNS server on the wired network  Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I needed one to enable the DHCP?

Ranchero50

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
        Current ipconfig/all