Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overcloking AMD  (Read 3342 times)

Terrence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Overcloking AMD
    « on: June 19, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »
    Does someone know how to overclock an AMD A8 7600??

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Overcloking AMD
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
    What motherboard do you have. Features in BIOS will determine. Locked multiplier AMD's I have overclocked by increasing the FSB speed on my RAM such as on an older system I went from 200 Mhz to 220 Mhz for a 10% overclock on a system with DDR 2 800Mhz RAM. I didnt have to adjust voltages at 10%. But my motherboards BIOS has the ability to overclock. Not all motherboards have this, specially less likely to have this feature if its a name brand system that you bought taht your trying to overclock such as an HP or emachine etc which manufacturers usually remove the overclock features from a board that would support it, and sometimes a BIOS flash can add the functionality back to be able to overclock etc.

This overclock brought a 2.3Ghz CPU to 2.53Ghz increasing my RAM's FSB from 200 to 220. CPU ran about 8 degrees hotter which isnt bad for the 10% performance gain.

How much of an overclock are you looking for. You might be able to get 10% to 15% without messing with voltages, but you have to watch out for heat as a byproduct of pushing it harder, so you will want to keep an eye on CPU temp.  On my build 12% was about the maximum I could push my locked multiplier AMD before it started to show signs of struggling and instability, heat was also warmer and so I decided to back down for greater stability vs random blue screens and choppy graphic issues as the CPU was stressing. Back down to 10% where choppy graphics and blue screens weren't going to happen.  My CPU was a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4450B 2.3Ghz with 1MB Cache ( Business Class Dual Core CPU ( B = designation) ) and 45 watt TDP. Overclocking it, it consumed more electricity and forced this CPU to operate as if it was a 65 watt TDP CPU. Motherboard also gets stressed through overclocks sometimes such as VRM's (Voltage Regulators ) run hotter for CPU.

Also to mention.... RAM quality will matter too when messing with increasing the FSB. I have gaming matched pair Corsair DDR2 XMS2 sticks with heat spreaders.

Terrence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
      Motherboard: MSI A7M-35
      Ram: Ballistix Sports 4GB DDR3
      CPU: AMD A8 7600

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
      Motherboard supports overclocking if this model linked here. Is there an E missing in your part number?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130741

OC Genie 4 supercharges your speed experience! When used, OC Genie 4 accelerates your entire system and puts it into overdrive! Tuned by the professional overclockers, OC Genie 4 hands you record-breaking performance on a silver plate.

Terrence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »
        Yeahh.. Thats my motherboard

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
        Cool you should be all set then for overclocking, just be sure to keep a look out for temperatures when pushing it hard if your going for a maximum overclock. Dont mess with voltages unless you need to and willing to take the risk of cooking it to death. I seen online others get a heavier overclock to my same processor normally 2.3Ghz getting it into the 3.1Ghz range on liquid cooling and boosting voltages. The extra 600Mhz and chance of killing stuff + cost of adding liquid cooling wasnt worth it for me. I ended up just swapping out the 2.3Ghz Athlon 64 x2 4450B that was running overclocked to 2.53Ghz with 10% overclock to an Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz which was slightly faster for single-core instructions 2.53Ghz vs 2.6Ghz, as well as now I had 4 cores vs 2. I did a 10% overclock to this Athlon II x4 620 bringing it to 2.86Ghz ( 2600Mhz to 2860Mhz ) with the same FSB increase from 200 to 220 since the Athlon II x4 620 is a locked multiplier CPU and was never intended for overclocking, but the FSB trick allows for it. I didnt notice any benefit in the 10% overclock of this quadcore and it was putting out too much heat for the cast aluminum block air cooled heatsink, so I dropped it back to native clock of 2.6Ghz and I'm happy with that.

There really is no need to push this old gaming rig hard anymore though because I have 2 better gaming systems one with the AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8-core 95 watt TDP and the other with the AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8-core 125 watt TDP. I use the AMD FX-8300 system more than the 700Mhz faster FX-8350 because the FX-8350's stock heatsink is just about inadequate. It really needs liquid cooling. After the fact I read up on this issue that AMD shipped these with heatsinks that well they will keep it running below max temp for the CPU, but the CPU fan has to spin at 100% speed and it makes for a lot of noise in the room and when I was running all 8 cores at 100% processing to crunch some data for a week it was running in the 68C-72C range which is hotter than I like to see. The  AMD FX-8300 runs just as cool around 35C idle and 48C at max load, as my Athlon II x4 620 ( both are 95 watt TDP CPUs ) and the CPU fan I had to check to see if it was running because it was so quiet. The CPU fan spins but only about 30% speed because cool n' quiet controls the fan speed and the CPU is cool and happy with fan at a constant 30% speed.