Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen Recording Issues  (Read 2470 times)

Ronickpop

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Screen Recording Issues
    « on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:27 AM »
    i7-4790
    Zotac GTX 960 4GB edition
    8GB RAM
    256GB SSD / 1TB HDD
    650W PSU
    ASRock fatal1ty (or something) mobo

I used shadowplay all the time for recording. I recorded my last video on surgeon sim. For some reason, after that video, I have been unable to use shadowplay at all. Desktop capture is set to be on but it refuses to start using hotkeys or manually. most of the time I get no status thing. When I opened Surgeon Sim and tried, it popped up briefly with a "not able to record" status icon. After many attempts (to no avail) I looked for other screen recorders. ALL OF THEM produced a black screen with only game audio. I was able to change the codec to a specific one and was able to get video during playback (possibly more codecs worked but most did not). I would prefer to keep using shadowplay but at this point I don't know if I can even record well without a system wipe and reinstall.

So far I have used a DDU thing to completely uninstall my display driver and geforce experience. Reinstalled, nothing changed. Installed olfer versions, nothing. Changed advanced system settings for best performance, nothing. multiple restarts/full shut downs, disabled AV, etc. Either corrupt display driver still? or mobo/GPU issue? maybe ouput issue? HEELLPPPPP
    edit: for some reson, if I open with, I can use windows media player to get video and not a black screen. I honestly have no clue what is going on with this recording software and video playback....
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:28:44 AM by Ronickpop »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Screen Recording Issues
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »
    Years ago I had an issue like this, but with FRAPS. My cure was to backup my data to an external drive and perform a clean install. I put 2 weeks into trying reinstall of FRAPS, codecs, GPU driver, memory tests, digging in Windows registry because a site suggested a value which had no change, and swapping from nVidia to AMD video card which would also use a different set of drivers. The cause of this I am unsure of, but after a clean install everything was working again so something was corrupt.

Ronickpop

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
      I appreciate the response, unfortunately I was trying to avoid that if possible. :P Thanks though, I may wait long enough to geta new hard drive and just do a win10 install on the new drive and all that junk. :)

thomasC1989

Greenhorn
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
        I used to have a similar issue with shadow play not recording few months ago. Every time I pressed Alt+f9 to record it just showed the green icon with a slash on it (I guess that's the "refuse to record" icon) and stopped. Shadow play was running in background but for some reason it just didn't want to capture anything. :(

I eventually fixed it by setting the temporary file location to another drive. It was originally set to my main SSD C: drive, and then I set it to my HDD D: drive. Magically it starts working properly again! I'm guessing it's a problem with the temp files, so perhaps clearing that folder would also do the trick?

Anyways, hope this helps ;)

-T