Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen after startup of Windows 2000 on an A  (Read 6444 times)

jasonkinky

Black screen after startup of Windows 2000 on an A
« on: December 09, 2005, 04:50:20 AM »
I have installed Windows 2000 on an AUVA computer, sporting an Award Modular Bios v6. 00PGN - W6330 MS v1.2 062100, with an AMD Duron 600 Mhz processor.
Switching on the PC, everything starts out fine, it seems to load Windows 2000 perfectly normally, but as soon as the Windows 2000 start up screen has to make way for the Windows 2000 desktop interface, the SCREEN GOES COMPLETELY BLACK !Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem ?
The ComputerHope.com website gives the following advice:
If your monitor receives a proper display until it gets into Windows 3.x, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows ME, or Windows XP please refer to the CH000192.
REFERENCE NUMBER: CH000192
How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup.
I figure this must mean that a particular CMOS setting is the cause of the problem, but the article does not give any clue on the remedy.
I've already sent this question to the Phoenix Bios but all they could say was this:
"Since the code has been modified by the manufacturer to work with their particular system, we are unable to provide you with upgrades or answers to your specific BIOS questions. Please contact your PC manufacturer or system builder for further assistance."

It's an old computer, apparently by a company called AUVA, which is completely unknown to me, so no help to be expected from that side.

Can any of you guys out there help me ?
Thanks,
Mike ???

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Black screen after startup of Windows 2000 on
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 11:05:56 AM »
    Can you start in safe mode?

jasonkinky

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:51:44 PM »
    Hi Fed,
    Thanks a lot for coming to my rescue so quickly.
    I didn't wait around in the meantime, guess I was just to eager to get it going, and I installed Linspire Five-0 over the Windows 2000 OS, and that is working fine now !
    Must be some strange bug in W2000, that doesn't want to work with the graphics card in the old PC, won't it, I suppose ?
    I am experimenting with peer-to-peer networking as a matter of fact, I will be having exams at the beginning of January, that's why I am so eager to get the two old PC's working together as soon as possible with my self-built state-of-the-art one.
    There is sadly not enough space on the hard drive of the old PC, which is only 4 GB (ah, those bad old days) to install 2 OS's, so I couldn't have the Linspire next to the W2000.
    I will probably be experimenting with putting W2000 on it again quite soon though, and I will be glad to accept your advice then and let it guide me through to the "miraculous re-appearance" of W2000 on that old PC screen  :D
    So I'll now be connecting a WXP, a W2000 (the second PC is working just fine with that !) and a Linspire together to make up a peer-to-peer network: that'll be fun ! So you might just hear from me again quite soon with more cries of PC distress !  ::)
    In the meantime, again, many thanks for your kind help !
    Mike

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »
      So you might just hear from me again quite soon with more cries of PC distress !

Thank you for the warning.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 03:55:15 PM »
      How do you like Linspire?  ;)

jasonkinky

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 12:22:45 AM »
      I am a Linspire virgin  ::), I'll tell you of my experiences come Monday, as I'll be to busy this weekend !  8)
      Sure hope it doesn't look like the Grim Reaper  :-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 05:06:32 AM »
      I have used Linspire for some time (as well as other variants). There is a bit of a learning curve, but not much. Post back if you have any questions about it (in the Linux forum). There is also a GREAT forum at Linspire as well. Hope you have found that also.