Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for a special program or how to video  (Read 3264 times)

questionhope

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Looking for a special program or how to video
    « on: September 14, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
    I am new to the forum and was looking for a program or instruction on how to
    put a folder in startup and when the computer is started it would appear
    in the middle of the desktop, but only on a certain date. I would also like
    to be able to change the date to a future date before it is executed. The
    reason I was wanting this program, and I know you probably don't care.
    I want to leave my family some final words on some videos in the fold, but
    I don't want them to see it until I'm gone.
    Thanks for any help you can supply.
    FES

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Looking for a special program or how to video
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:02:55 AM »
    Would be easy to do with the BAT file, but there would be numerous other ways and utilities as well.
    But any method would also be easy to disable and very reliant on whatever you set up to not get touched.

But the more disturbing fact is that you know your Death Date...   :D

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
    Something like that would be better added to a Disc or USB stick and give that to a friend who would hand that to family when your gone. It would be the more reliable way of it getting to them. An actual date for it to appear, hopefully doesnt mean its a guarantee that your passing on that date such as suicide. If its suicide, please contact a suicide hotline and get help. Even with a terminal illness people dont normally know their expiration dates. Having something pop up secretively like this is very questionable. If you have a terminal illness, i would have a trusted friend hand the data to family or have a lock box unlocked with it in there with a note vs going about it with a folder populated to desktop.

Additionally creating a time bomb type event trigger like this can also be used for malicious intent. That is to nuke someones computer 20 days from now etc and them not knowing you planted it 20 days ago for example, system boots they logon and NUKE hits their C: drive etc. So I am not going to assist with a batch or any other coded method on this as for... you really need to have the info in the hands of someone trusted who can pass it to family.

*Note: This has been shared with a moderator as for its considered a "Dooms Day Trigger Script" that your looking for and we cant really help with something that could be used for wrong / malicious intent.

questionhope

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
      Wait a minute guys, I don't have a date set for suicide or dooms day device.
      I guess I didn't explain myself good enough. The reason I wanted to be able to
      change the date, was so I could move it ahead, when the date set came, so it wouldn't be popping up
      before I wanted it to which would be after I"m gone( a date that I don't know).
      I just want my family to know, that I loved them and things like that, in a video for each
      one. I'm not sick or anything, but I am getting older(72), but you can't tell people things after the fact.
      So I just want to prepare for the future when ever that is.
      Sorry about not being clear enough.

FES

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »
      I really don't think the process you have in mind is the best way to go about this.

+1 on Dave's advice, do whatever it is you want - video, pop up message what have you and give it to someone you trust.  Otherwise keeping it on the PC for d-day relies on the package not being found beforehand and the package being successfully triggered - two very big IF's.

It's not about making it easier for you, but for them.

Isn't this what wills, and Executives as such are for?

questionhope

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
        Mark
        My wife and kids will not be able to stumble on the videos, They don't know
        that much about the computer. I need something, I can keep changing the date
        when it come up and I'm still here. I do have a will, but that's not the
        idea behind the videos. My friends are old too, like me and may not remember to
        give a dvd or cd to my family. Maybe its not the best idea, but just one I thought of.

Thanks anyway
        FES

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
        If you have a deposit box at a bank, you can get a small one. When you pass your family would be notified by the bank of this. Every account you hold would be brought to their attention. When you initially set up your accounts with bank(s) they should have given you paperwork and a area to add beneficiaries. Some banks require the other parties to sign to this and others only require your approval in signed paperwork. This wont cost much. Additionally you can contact your bank to modify this if its not already set up this way. Without this setup on your accounts the accounts could sit for years and money and items unclaimed unless death certificate etc.

Also I was given a computer once from a family that was looking for disposal of a computer for free since dumps and computer shops charge money to get rid of computers, and it was their grandmothers. They never booted their grandmothers computer and never knew what was on it. It was me taking the initiative to gather her pictures and documents and burning them to a CD and contacting them that they might want this stuff before I format the system that saved that information from being forever lost. The family was very grateful for me doing this. There were pictures they never saw before that the grandmother took with a cheap camera that would dock with USB port to the system that were on the hard drive and nowhere else. Some of the pictures weren't just of the children that she babysat but were photos she took of her holding the children when they were toddlers etc. They were going to pay me for doing this and I said no charge, I will make money in the parts I salvage off of the computer that was given to me.  :)

Also thank you for clarifying this as for my initial thoughts was that this was a possible suicide message as for no one knows when they are exiting the world unless intentional. I understand now why you want this, but feel that its not a perfect method of them getting what you want to give them, it could be lost and never seen. You really need a 3rd party to hold this like a banks safe deposit or a cheaper method being a cash box with it and a note on it on a thumb drive etc and telling them please view it but you stated that might not stumble on it which is odd. I'd think that someone would have to clean out your home etc although it could be handled by a hired service in which nothing found and everything disposed of which I really hope isnt the way this would be handled.