Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video system lockup  (Read 7182 times)

Frantic

video system lockup
« on: August 02, 2004, 01:13:16 PM »
I had been using my Philips Toucam to transmit pictures on MSN for months.  Then I got the Netsky virus and after fixing it, MSN shows a blacked out screen, even though the camera is working, and the Philips soft ware shows picture transmission.  The Philips FAQ says that this means there is a system lockup, and I should find out my video display manufacturer and contact them. Easier said than done! Has anyone encountered this?  What do I do? I have tried reinstalling the camera and MSN repair.  Nothing has worked!   ???  :(

merlin_2

Re: video system lockup
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 01:57:59 PM »

Frantic

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 02:08:13 PM »
Thankyou, but as I said, I have already done this.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 02:22:59 PM »
Why are you having trouble locating your videocard manufacturer?

The name of your videocard manufacturer (Or at least important details) can be found in your device manager.

Frantic

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »
Thankyou.  I have followed the advice given by Computerhope on this subject.  I have been to Device Manager, and it says 'Intel graphics controller'. Device Manager is only one of the ways given to find out the Manufacturer, but it warns that if one is experiencing video issues 'that it is likely that what Microsoft Windows is detecting is not correct'.  The other methods mentioned include going in via DOS.  The infromation obtained this way was useless though! I think that the next step must be to take the computer back to PC World....could be costly!!

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:46:52 PM »
msn webcam settings unchecked the box for "Mirror my Image" ok...

Frantic

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 04:00:47 PM »
Thx.  Have tried this for the second time.  Has not worked.  Nice try. ::)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 05:18:31 PM »
I assume you have an onboard videocard. See if you can uninstall the drivers and then reinstall.

You may have to uninstall all of the motherboards drivers. (If they are installed at all.)

Frantic

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 02:38:29 PM »
Thankyou for your knowledgeable reply.  I 'assume' that I have too!!  I am fairly new to all this, and do not have the confidence or know-how to do what you suggest.  I will therefore need to contact PC World support to accomplish this.  However, I have learned alot these last few weeks!!! Very testing, this lack of computer co-operation!

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 02:50:09 PM »
what happens in you type dxdiag in the run box is this the only issue webcam? currys is it?are there any errors list in the events log admin tools...if there are any other issues>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 02:51:18 PM by merlin_2 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 03:22:06 PM »
    Frantic.....You neglected to tell us what operating system you are using ?   If you reboot your computer and as soon as it starts up .....if you press the PAUSE KEY WHEN THE SYSTEM IS STARTING UP .......the page that tells you to press DEL if you want to go to setup.....
    Look up near the top and you should see the model number of your motherboard .......If you post it here we can do a search and tell you what vid card is installed .
    you should be able to see it in the device manager as well .......click .....start .....then control panel......and select system......then click display adapter and click on the little box in front with the + in it ....the model of your vid card should be displayed.

let us know
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.