Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Wi-Fi problem  (Read 2767 times)

UndeadALK

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop Wi-Fi problem
    « on: August 10, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
    Hey everyone,
    So I am recently having this weird problem. I have both PC, laptop and a few phones. My PC is connected to the internet via ethernet cable and on all the other devices I'm using Wi-Fi. One day, like a week ago, all the devices connected through Wi-Fi disconnected and wouldn't reconnect for some reason, there was an error or something. I completely reseted my router to fabric settings and configured it again.
    Since then everything was fine except for the fact that when I turn on the laptop it's like taking up all the internet speed. Internet on PC and the phones works in like 10% efficiency, just barely loading any sites or anything. The download is usually like 300 KB/s (I live in a place where internet is pretty bad) but when the laptop is turned on, not even downloading or browsing the internet (just turned on), on all the other devices it goes to like 20-30 KB/s. Anybody knows what could be the reason? Cause I have never experienced anything similiar. Sorry for my english in advance, I'm not a native speaker.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop Wi-Fi problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
    If your laptop is Windows 10 then I experience the same issue whenever any of the PC's in the house do a Win10 update.
    Like you, our internet in the area is crap and normal surfing (emails, web browsing etc) is fine when any or all PC's are on and active.
    But if even one PC starts an update process then web speeds simply go so close to zero that it become impossible to do anything web related.
    I go around to all the PC's, find the culprit doing updates, turn it off, wait about one minute, and the other PC's go back to normal.

If you check your laptop, (Start, Settings, Update and Security), what is the Update Status?

You may have to leave the laptop on overnight just to see if that allows it to 'do its thing' and get over this hump.  (jeez, if I had a dollar for every time I've had to leave PC's on overnight!!!)

UndeadALK

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:23:43 AM »
      Whoops, I mean that was one of the first things to check. I should have known. I'm not that bad with computers. You were right, thank you. When the update is done I'm gonna let you know if the problem is solved cause there were Win updates in the past and it has never been as bad as that.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
      no worries.
      and a belated welcome to the forum.