Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Cable Modem - Half Configured Issues - Resolved but Interesting  (Read 1821 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So back on 8/3 I replaced my 7 year old Motorola Surfboard modem with a newer Broadband modem. Called Xfinity and shared the mac address with the helpful customer service tech and informed her that when she makes this change my phone will be disconnected because I have Vonage. well the disconnect happened and then i saw my modem  go through two reboots and then stay on and figured ok its been flashed and configured to work with xfinity. Turned my router on and all seemed ok, but it wasnt.

Hulu was acting strange to where it would take 2 or 3 attempts to play streaming content and sometimes bail out in the middle of a show after a commercial.

Additionally Second Life would fail to authenticate at times and it was strange that it was as if 3 times a charm to get it running.

As well as occasionally a Device Activation notice would pop up on computers in the house but of course the users would exit out of it so I wasnt able to check it out to see what the options were.

I went to xfinity website figuring if its something with the account it should pop up and tell me right.... well nope. Logged onto my xfinity page and checked e-mail and no alarm notices or anything suggesting that anything further had to be done. Looked around for any account log info if any even existed. Nothing...

So I saw that xfinity had a chat, so I started up a chat and shared my issue. Come to find out my Modem was configured to work with the MAC Address associated with my account, but there was a 3 step process to further connecting this modem to my account. So they gave me a link which was pretty much /activate at the end of the URL for xfinity and that brought up the page that everyone else had been seeing that I was trying to get to. I followed teh 3 step process and the internet connection went dead. Looked behind me and the modem was going through another reboot. Upon power up the chat session that I figured would have timed out from disconnected internet connection was active again and the support tech asked if I was still there. Informed them that my modem rebooted after the 3 step process and maybe its fixed now.

I tested my Roku for Hulu and YAY no problems. Tested my Smart TV BlueRay player and YAY no problems there either.

They then before I left offered me a deal to get 25/5 internet and 90+ channels for $69.99 a month for 12 months and then the following 12 months for a 24 month term at $89.99 and if I cancelled it would be a $234 early termination fee. Plus if I accepted I would also have to pay a $15 fee for the installation kit. I asked what channels were included in the 90+. As for it was described as having Latino channels and I wanted to make sure I wasnt going to get home shopping network and latino channels that I wouldnt be able to use. They gave me a link. The link didnt show a 90+ channel tier to see what channels were included. They tried to send me the info to my gmail and my comcast e-mail accounts and no e-mail arrived from them. But yet sort of a pressure tactic to " Are you going to Approve" multiple times through it as I was asking more and more questions. Initially they said how would you like 90+ channels of Cable + 25/5 internet for $69.99 a month for 12 months... I then said well thats great if I am not locked into a 24 month term with having to pay full price after the first 12 months. They then shared that yes its a 24 month term and no its not full price. The full price is $111 a month but it would be $89.99 a month. I was excited and almost approved of it for $69.99 a month because I'd get the 25/5 internet + cable + the xfinity wireless anywhere for mobile devices, but for the fact that even when requesting why dont they copy/paste the e-mail content into the support chat since the e-mail method of sharing it with me doesnt seem to be working they werent able to tell me what 90+ channels I was getting. I pulled out and figured these must be the 90+ channels that no one wants and maybe thats why they arent telling me, as for once I say OK, Im locked into a $234 early termination fee or sticking with it or 24 months at $69.99 for first 12 and then $89.99 for 13th thru 24th.  ::)

The good thing is that all is better now. But odd that internet connection was half configured and I had to go through this final 3 step activation with the modem through browser on my computer thru their website.  :-\