Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless connection problem  (Read 2436 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Wireless connection problem
    « on: August 24, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
    Hello

When I click on the wireless symbol (Win 10) near the clock I can see a list of available wireless connections.

I have the correct password for the St_Pauls wireless (please see attached image) - made available to me by the property agent (landlord), but the error says I cannot connect to the network.

What is the most likely reason for that, please? Could it mean that the landlord's router is not switched on or I am out of range?

I am able to connect to the Internet via my normal ISP, so there is nothing wrong with my own household router.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Wireless connection problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:56:54 AM »
    if you were out of range or the router was turned off, you wouldn't even be seeing it, so you can rules those out.
    most likely would be the wireless key, how confident you are entering it correctly?
    making sure of case sensitivity and O is for oscar and 0 is for zero and all that.

next would be extra security they have on the wifi router, like MAC filtering.
    if enabled, you may need not only a wifi password but to be physically allowed by given them you MAC network address.
    but only the administrator of the router can verify, and if needed, add you to the 'allowed' list.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Re: Wireless connection problem
      « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:22:08 AM »
      Thanks, Mark, for your reply.

The property landlord gave tenants a while ago the wrong key, so maybe he has done it again. I have just used whatever he has printed off - small q and not a Q, etc.

Oh, I see. So I would need to contact the administrator of the router to ask if he wants my MAC address.

Many thanks again!