Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WiFi Hotspot  (Read 2632 times)

jnch88

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    WiFi Hotspot
    « on: August 31, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »
    The website sold the free internet portable wireless Hotspot (Freedompop.com) and say that get free 500mb data every month. I have the following questions as I call their support but cannot speak to a live person. Kindly pls advise and TKS a lot

(1) When finish using the 500mb data, can I still use their regular WiFi surfing internet (e.g. Email or listen the Radio website). If there is no other WiFi in the area.

(2) When listening the Radio website or watching YouTube with sound, are they using the mobile data.
    If so, around how many MB per minute will beused ?

Thank you,
    John

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: WiFi Hotspot
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
    You can add an app that will keep track of how much data usage you have consumed. My smartphone has one for my 3G connection so I can keep track of how much i have used. Additionally I have a tracphone and they have an app that allows me to sync up with their service to see how much data I have left. Myself I get by on 180mb of data every 90 days. I shut off my mobile internet connection and only enable it when i need it. The apps that constantly want to update will drain away your data on a limited plan.

Any time your connected to your wireless hotspot it will trickle away at your 500mb allowance. No matter if the phone or tablet is being actively used or idle as apps update and eat up bandwidth.

I do all my updates from a free wifi from my own at home or from someone elses open wifi this way i can avoid wasting the limited data plan that i have, so when I need to use it remotely and connect to my 3G connection from away someones free wifi I still have bandwidth to use vs running out to early.

On my 180mb data plan with my smart phone on all the time when I first got it I ran out of data transfer after about 5 weeks and used very lightly for texting etc and no videos. App updates constantly updating weather etc drained it all away.

So my suggestion is to add an app that will keep track of usage, and shut off the service when not needed to avoid it draining away like a hole in a bucket. And  make use of other peoples free open wifi for updates that can be 40mb in size etc which will eat at a limited plan heavily, but on open wifi its all free and wont eat at your plan.