Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 memory leak  (Read 4400 times)

Sphax

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 10 memory leak
    « on: September 07, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
    Hello,

It has been several months now that my computer is having memory leaks. When I turn it on and start all of my usual applications (Intellij, SQL Developper, Chrome, a VPN) it consumes around 40% of my 16GB of RAM.
    The consumption seems to go up as the day progress and after 1 or 2 days it will get up to 95-99% and the computer will start to get slower. I will eventually need to reboot.

The thing is even though the task manager tells me 99% of the RAM is consumed, if I add the memory consumed by all applications it will hardly reach 4GB (I tried to attach an image, hopefully, it works).

I am not sure how to try and investigate the problem. I also looked at Poolmon but once again there is nothing consuming more than 100Mb.

I also tried to update drivers and change a registry entry but none of these helped.

Any idea of what I could try to do to either pinpoint the cause or solve the problem?

Thank you!
    Sphax

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Base10

Beginner
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Windows 10 memory leak
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
      Hey there,

I've never really had any issues with my RAM, but have a look on this and this may help to locate the issue, I hope.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dealing-with-memory-leaks/

Anyway hope it helps :)

Newbie1974

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »
        Hello,

It has been several months now that my computer is having memory leaks. When I turn it on and start all of my usual applications (Intellij, SQL Developper, Chrome, a VPN) it consumes around 40% of my 16GB of RAM.
        The consumption seems to go up as the day progress and after 1 or 2 days it will get up to 95-99% and the computer will start to get slower. I will eventually need to reboot.

The thing is even though the task manager tells me 99% of the RAM is consumed, if I add the memory consumed by all applications it will hardly reach 4GB (I tried to attach an image, hopefully, it works).

I am not sure how to try and investigate the problem. I also looked at Poolmon but once again there is nothing consuming more than 100Mb.

I also tried to update drivers and change a registry entry but none of these helped.

Any idea of what I could try to do to either pinpoint the cause or solve the problem?

Thank you!
        Sphax

Try not to have so many browsers executing at once. Also, depending on your VPN, you may be accessing 8 servers and pulling in so much traffic it is causing the memory leaks through bad packets and routers not correctly configured.. and poor communication and VPN settings. It has to tax the crap out of your RAM. I bet if you look at you logs you would see untold rejected internet traffic and critical errors all over.. A sick system is more susceptible to catching a virus ..
        « Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:02:04 AM by Newbie1974 »

Sphax

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:13:37 AM »
          Hello, thank you for trying to help !

Hey there,

I've never really had any issues with my RAM, but have a look on this and this may help to locate the issue, I hope.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dealing-with-memory-leaks/

Anyway hope it helps :)

Sorry for the late answer. I looked up the article but it mostly talks about checking performance to see which app use the ram and setting up alarms when your ram is high.
          I tried to use window's performance monitor to see if I could find more data but unfortunately most of app is responsible.

Try not to have so many browsers executing at once. Also, depending on your VPN, you may be accessing 8 servers and pulling in so much traffic it is causing the memory leaks through bad packets and routers not correctly configured.. and poor communication and VPN settings. It has to tax the crap out of your RAM. I bet if you look at you logs you would see untold rejected internet traffic and critical errors all over.. A sick system is more susceptible to catching a virus ..

I was also suspecting that the VPN or my network drivers could be responsible but I don't really know what I should look for. You say that poor router configuration or VPN settings could cause the problem, any particular settings I should look for?
          My colleagues are using the same VPN setup and pretty much the same applications and they don't seem to have any memory leaks :/

If you know any tools that I could use to investigate the problem, I am interested :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »
          Do you have a Network adapter from the manufacturer "Killer Networks"? If so, remove the accompanying software- it has a memory leak.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Sphax

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 01:53:40 AM »
            Do you have a Network adapter from the manufacturer "Killer Networks"? If so, remove the accompanying software- it has a memory leak.

Hello, thanks for the input.

Unfortunately I have one from Realtek "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller".
            I still downloaded the latest version from their website but it didn't help.

This weekend I let the computer turned on with nothing running on it. (I restarted it before leaving work)
            But I still had the memory leak this morning (98% of memory used with the top program using 20Mb).

So it doesn't seem to be caused by the VPN as it wasn't connected to it. Any ideas what else could cause this?