Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: When starting it marked almost all files as unreadable.  (Read 3826 times)

klaus124

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    When starting it marked almost all files as unreadable.
    « on: September 08, 2017, 04:49:29 AM »
    I was browsing the internet, but I think that I had too many tabs open. I went away for a moment and when I came back the screen was full of horizontal stripes and it was frozen. When I rebooted my computer, it gave me different boot options. I chose to start windows normally, but it froze after I clicked once and I had to shut it down from the start button. When I rebooted it I tried to start it in safe mode. It listed all the things that it was loading and then froze. When I rebooted it, it said that I have to reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in boot device and press a key. After I rebooted it, it gave me boot options, I chose to start normally, clicked once and it froze, after rebooting the previous message appeared again, the rebooting cycle repeated a few times. Then when I selected to start normally it started to check files, I dont know excactly how many were unreadable but it was definitely most of them, maybe all. Then it said "deleting orphan file record section 40", it has been like that for a few hours.

I have not overclocked anything.

I am using windows enterprise service pack one.

I checked the BIOS and the processor speed was 80 something MHz.

Processor is an  i5 or maybe i3 2,6 GHz I dont remember the model.
    Graphics card is radeon hd 6700.

I don't remember anything more.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: When starting it marked almost all files as unreadable.
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
    Either your Win install is wonked or the HDD is failing...run chkdsk /r from a command prompt...
    Do NOT interrupt it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: When starting it marked almost all files as unreadable.
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
    orphaned files is a pretty sure sign of one or more bad sectors or a failing drive in general.
    from your specs, it sounds like the drive's age is somewhere north of 5 years old.

with that sort of question mark over the drive integrity, I'd be biting the bullet and getting a new drive.
    that then opens to door for other silver linings like an SSD upgrade and/or Win10 upgrade.  :D