Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: G751JY AC charger disconnects while gaming/pc shuts off  (Read 3000 times)

kshorntv

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    G751JY AC charger disconnects while gaming/pc shuts off
    « on: September 14, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »
    So a few months ago my battery died, which in turn made my computer turn off while gaming. It seemed that the computer (GPU?) needed more power than the AC could give causing it to shut down.

So I got a new battery, and everything worked fine for a week or two. Now when I play demanding games like PUBG the AC charger disconnects and reconnects frequently, and sometimes the computer shuts down. GPU-Z logs say that the temperature is not above 80' degrees just before the shut downs, which leads me to believe its a problem with energy consumption.

The computer is an ASUS ROG G751JY with Nvidia 980m. The AC part is original, and the seller said the battery is original too (and it looks and feels identical to the original).

Other things to note is that during gaming the right side of the laptop is significantly warmer than the left side. The right side is where the AC intake is. The AC jack (?) is also pretty warm when gaming.

Again the disconnections and shut-downs only happens during demanding games. Never during browsing.

I am attaching some photos from a gaming session, with information form HWiNFO64 and GPU-z. The last picture is taken just as the charger disconnects and reconnects. The temps are not over 80 degrees C.

https://imgur.com/a/pgjnY

If I understand correctly my AC charger has 230 watt (19,5 V x 11,8 A), so I don't understand why its disconnecting. I thought maybe I could try to undervolt the GPU, but I dint find a program that could do it. The volt option in Afterburner is already at minimum it seems. I can only overvolt?

When I run Furmark the laptop shuts down immediately when starting the stress-test - both on PSU and on the battery. When I start the test, the temps are around 50. So I dont understand how it can be a heat issue. And since it happens on the battery too, maybe it isnt a PSU issue?

Regards

kshorntv

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: G751JY AC charger disconnects while gaming/pc shuts off
      « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »
      *sad*

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »
      AC Adapters typically include a circuit which opens the connection (disconnects) if they detect an overload. This is entirely consistent with the disconnection/reconnection you are seeing.

Since based on what you've said this hasn't always been the case ,either the system is drawing more power than it used to or the AC Adapter is now overloading at a lower current draw. Most of what you've stated would seem to indicate it isn't the laptop itself which points at the AC Adapter as failing.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
      I'll bet the adapter and battery are aftermarket...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kshorntv

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
        AC Adapters typically include a circuit which opens the connection (disconnects) if they detect an overload. This is entirely consistent with the disconnection/reconnection you are seeing.

Since based on what you've said this hasn't always been the case ,either the system is drawing more power than it used to or the AC Adapter is now overloading at a lower current draw. Most of what you've stated would seem to indicate it isn't the laptop itself which points at the AC Adapter as failing.

Yes, I was 100% it was the AC adapter, but then the same thing happens with the battery. So I am lost again.