Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: old computer doesn't allow updates and blocks every internet page?  (Read 3621 times)

Rammy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I've been given a computer by a friend and I'm sure it's over 5 years old, ADVENT make and running windows vista. I don't know which internet explorer version it's running but recommends I update to version 9 (hopefully that'll help in aging this thing).

I've got a belkin surf n300 internet stick as it won't connect to the internet as a wireless device.

I'm tying to download Skype but everything seems to be going wrong.

I've followed instructions to update my windows
    And can get as far as

Control panel > security > windows update

But when I try to update it comes up with

Errors found:
    Code80072F8F

And this isn't recognised in the "get help" tab.

When I try to go online and update my internet explorer it recommend internet explorer 9 but I cannot update as all pages I try to open (even googles home page and microsofts homepage) I'm met with a tab reading

Certificate error: navigation blocked

I can either close the window or continue which isn't recommended and when I do continue the search bar turns red and another bar pops up saying

To help protect your security, internet explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors

I can choose to show blocked content but it absolutely refuses to let me update both my windows and my internet explorer.

Any solution would be highly appreciated

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: old computer doesn't allow updates and blocks every internet page?
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
    Are the time and Date correct on the system? 80072F8F indicates that it couldn't establish a secure connection, and the same applies for certificate errors- both can be caused by the time and date (or time zone) being incorrect.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Rammy

Topic Starter

Re: old computer doesn't allow updates and blocks every internet page?
      « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:25:00 AM »
      ... I am an idiot. I never even checked XD I'll check and change it now

Thank you so much for the tip!