Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: compter in continuous reboot  (Read 5233 times)

sbgerry

compter in continuous reboot
« on: December 15, 2005, 04:05:49 PM »
Hi, I hope someone has a clue on this one. I have a windows 2000 system that is in continuous reboot. Every time it looks like it is done booting it turnd off and starts over. My virus proram caught a virus that infected wsock32.dll before this happened. I have tried reloading win 2000, but it keeps doing the same thing. I can start it in safe mode. Any ideas would be appreciated.

GX1_Man

Re: compter in continuous reboot
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 04:24:57 PM »
Check your RAM, the most common cause for this.

www.memtest86.com  Run each stick individually for a few hours, then all sticks together if no error with the first passes.

Merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 05:49:42 PM »
What intenet service, have you got?

Need a little bit more on the system you have?

sbgerry

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 06:54:21 PM »
I have it hooked up to a cable modem (cox)

computer is is epox 4bea motherboard with pent4 cpu @2.53Ghz, win2K 5.00.2195, service pack 2. 1 gig ram

Thanks!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:54:30 PM »
How did the RAM test go? That is the start of this process.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:55:14 PM by GX1_Man »

sbgerry

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 09:01:16 PM »
I have not been able to connect to the internet yet on that computer, I'm working on it. Will keep you posted, Thanks

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:35:51 PM »
You can download on another computer and burn a bootable CD for the affected one.  ;)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 10:09:07 PM »
    Will it start in Safe Mode + Networking?

sbgerry

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 11:32:32 PM »
    I think that I have things working. In the process of trying to get a clean load of w2k it kept asking to put Easy cd creator disk in. When I finally got safe mode running I kept getting a screen that my virus program (grisoft) was corrupted. Since a virus was at the start of this I wanted to reload and run a virus check before anything else. When I tried that the virus program said that easy cd creator was not compatible with the current version, so I removed it. The program loaded and I ran a check that went ok. When I rebooted it worked. It seems like easy cd creator 5.x had something to do with my problem, but in the morning I will still rum the memory check. I am praying hat in the morning it will boot normally, it has several times so far. Thanks for all the suggestions, will let you know how it goes in the am.