Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: just a test  (Read 117692 times)

kbit

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
just a test
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
I am just seeing if I can post this . I am using a Canon Innova built in 1993 with a 486 DX 33mhz , 512mb hdd , 256 colour vga display @ less than 800x600 . Looks kinda funny but it works. I'm using Opera 3.62 on Win 3.11 and Dos 6.22.. Well that is all , like I said , just want to see if this will post alright .

kbit

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Re: just a test
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:05:05 PM »
Back on my XP machine. Here are some screen shots . I came across a forum somewhere and the guy said he could not go on the web with win3.11 . Just shows you that there is always hope for your computer , ha ha .

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:56:42 AM »
You have been spotted by the Internet Police. You will be cited for reckless browsing  with an old and dangerous PC.  ::)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:16:50 AM »
I am just seeing if I can post this . I am using a Canon Innova built in 1993 with a 486 DX 33mhz , 512mb hdd , 256 colour vga display @ less than 800x600 . Looks kinda funny but it works. I'm using Opera 3.62 on Win 3.11 and Dos 6.22.. Well that is all , like I said , just want to see if this will post alright .
Ha! Thanks for sharing that.  Reminds of the days when I had a 486 with Win 3.1.  If you have any expansions slots (ISA or PCI) in that machine, you might be able to find a video card on eBay that would yield a better display. 

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »
Cool that this worked, even though some page formatting issues due to age of browser and HTML has come a long ways since in addition to the fact that your probably on 640 x 480 resolution.

Some questions.  ;D

What Network Adapter did you use to tie into high speed internet or is this a far easier to get working dial-up connection? 

( Back in the days of Win 3.11 the networks I worked around were using BNC coax and Novell Netware and home internet access was Dial-up on a 14.4k AT&T modem with a stack of jumpers to be set pre-PnP modem. The Modern Cat5 I didnt start working with until around 1999 when the older BNC token ring networks were getting yanked in favor for the newer Cat5 at 10Mb/s and HUBS where everywhere and you had to worry about collisions etc. Networking has come a long ways and is so much nicer to manage these days. )

What driver did you use for TCP/IP support and is this a DOS 6.22 TCP/IP driver or one that was made for Win 3.x?

To date the oldest computer that I ever got onto the Internet with was a 386 SX 16 Mhz with 4MB 30-pin SIMM RAM, 40MB HDD on Dial up and AOL 2.5  running Windows 3.1 many many years ago. Windows 3.1 consumed about 12MB of the 40MB HDD. The 40MB HDD I pulled out of an early 286 that had the early hard drives that would take up a full 5.25 bay and the space of 2 x Modern Optical drives. They were very noisey when reading/writing data and were Seagate Brand. They required a special drive controller card that was ISA and then had 2 ribbon cables that went to them + power P connector. Prior to that I got online on Prodigy in High School around 1992, but the prodigy service network there was far different than the Internet that really took hold in 1994/1995 onwards and the boom of the late 90s.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
What driver did you use for TCP/IP support and is this a DOS 6.22 TCP/IP driver or one that was made for Win 3.x?

Microsoft has a TCP/IP Driver for Windows 3.11. All it needs is a network card with a Windows Driver installed.

Technically it is for Windows for Workgroups. However if they have 256 color, they are probably using WfWG since Windows 3.1 and 3.11 as-is do not provide any generic 256 color drivers.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »
The oldest machine's I've tried on the "modern" internet would be a Sun Ultra 5 (Running Solaris 8 ) and a Power Macintosh 8600/200 (Running MacOS 9.1), both using Netscape Navigator 4.0.  I was somewhat surprised as to how some things did actually work to a usable level.  What I also found very amusing was that several intranet sites at my university worked absolutely perfectly as they were so out of date!

I'll need to try and get one of my old Windows 3.1 machines working online but I don't currently have any suitable ISA network cards.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:00:58 PM by camerongray »

Thomas_JK

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »

Nice, it posted just fine.
    I too have a 486, built in 1994. Its DX2 66mhz, 428mb hdd, 256 colour svga. OS is Dos 6 with Windows 3.1 and WIN32 extensions v1.1.5. Browser is NCSA Mosaic 2.0 Alpha 7 from -94. It has 3com's ethernet card and Trumpet tcp/ip stack software and a packet driver.

Offcourse there are not many sites that can be viewed with it, but couple of years ago I could even post to one computer forum with it.
    E-mail, newsgroups, ftp and gopher work quite well, even with vintage software.

ps. I noticed this is quite old topic, but I replied partly to test if this posts allright (with my ME comp) and its my first post here :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
    Welcome Aboard...normally we would embarass you for necro-mancing old topics...:P
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

militaryufo

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »
      Would you like to sell me the Canon Innova 486? I can give you $150 Canadian for it.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 06:11:29 AM »
      CH isn't a post it board for buying & selling. I'd suggest ebay for your needs or amazon for old hardware.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 06:19:21 AM »
      Besides the Topic being over 2 years old...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "