Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a Aucacity script to boost MP2 volume?  (Read 4230 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Is there a Aucacity script to boost MP2 volume?
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
I have a lot of MP3 files on a little naan-like  player.
The load speaker is so tiny that it is hard to hear if there is any background noise. So I want to just boost the volume of all the files on the player, The player has 2 GB of flash and has lost of room let for  more. I just want to boot  the level of all the MP3 files on it.
Is tare a script that does that?  If not, how do I make one?
I have Audacity 2.0.5 installed on my Windows XP and I have the Lame driver installed, so I already have used it to record and alter MP3.

Now I just want a script to boost up level of all files in a directory.

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Is there a Aucacity script to boost MP2 volume?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »

You might be able to loop back your audio out to microphone input and use VLC Player which allows you to go to 11 ( a little spinal tap humor  ;D  )  with the volume playing the song. Then record it with audacity 2.0.5 as a higher volume audio than it initially is.

*I did this trick to gain higher volume to old cassettes that had a hiss to them as they are aged and my grandparents that passed away many years ago are on them. One of the tapes is from 1982 6 months before my grandfather passed away from cancer at 68 and other is 1988 my grandmother who passed away in 1994 at 78. I now have these on MP3 and the magnetic taps are in rough shape and I still have them but because the tape aged they lost their crisp sound and have a hiss to them with some areas that are hard to understand as hysteresis of the magnetic tape spooled up affects each others layers over time I have been told to kill the quality. I used VLC Player as a booster to a audio recording using the Windows Recorder program, and feat the output back to the input and boosted its volume this way. There might be a program out there to do this but this was my free way of doing this.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Did you have to do each my hand?
I was hoping for a script that would do it automatically.
I have never tried VlC to modify an audio file. I will look at it.

I wanted to use Audacity because it has a variety of effects that can be used to correct level and background noise. And add a little bit of echo to enhance the sound.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »
You want to use a Chain.

File->Edit Chains

Add. Call it "Amplify"

Now on the right side, click "Insert"

double-click "Amplify", then use "Edit Parameters" to change the settings of the amplification.

Now Insert Again, this time, insert "ExportMP3".

You should have a Chain that is 01- Amplify, and 02 -  ExportMP3.

You can insert  other things into the chain if you want to, as well, of course.

Now, Close out of the Edit Chains Dialog (confirming you want to save) and now go File->Apply Chain. Select Amplify, and choose "Apply to Files".

Now you select the files to apply to. I'd suggest making a copy of all the files you want to apply this to, and then applying it to the copy, in case amplification introduces clipping.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.