Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gigabit internet  (Read 2720 times)

Fred302654

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Gigabit internet
    « on: October 07, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »
    Does anyone know if you can use a docsis 3.0 with Comcast gigabit internet.  They force u to rent there 3.1 modem, but I have it and I can’t even use the WiFi unless I’m in the room with the modem.   I have a Netgear model c7000 it’s a 3.0 and Comcast says it won’t work at all.  Also I only pull around 350-500 download on my wired computer.  Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it ?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gigabit internet
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
    That is certified for xfinity which is the same as comcast. The only way that comcast will refuse to allow use of this device is if it was flashed with a hacked firmware that gives bandwidth controls to the customer vs just comcast. If you never flashed the firmware in this and its still the firmware from Netgear then whomever your talking to might not know their job or they are trying to get you to lease theirs for $6 a month.

I have had my own modem for about 6 years now and recently went from Docsis 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade in which i had to replace my modem with one that was docsis 3.0 compliant as well as it has to be xfinity certified. I had no problems once I got comcast on the line after the 45 minutes on hold waiting for assistance to give them my account info, confirm my identity as the account owner, and gave them my MAC address. After they flashed settings to your modem it will reboot 1 or 2 times and then you should be golden.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gigabit internet
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:34 AM »
    Here is the reference to xfinity certified. Forgot to share this yesterday.: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Certified-Xfinity-Spectrum/dp/B00ZUPOF7Y

you stated:
    Also I only pull around 350-500 download on my wired computer
    Are you claiming 350 to 500mbps? or kbps