Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Randomly Powering Off  (Read 3071 times)

Enoshade

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Laptop Randomly Powering Off
    « on: October 21, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
    (I hope I'm not in the wrong section, and since I'm new to this forum please pardon me if that is the case)

Hello, I am here to ask for help with my laptop, which has recently had a keyboard replacement after multiple keys stopped working. Ever since then, I've been having problems with it randomly turning off (the effect is identical to tapping power button or going into sleep mode) and this has been messing with my usage of it. I have tried a few quick fixes I've found through google - including resetting power plan settings and switching to high-performance power plan since my laptop's battery doesn't work anymore either way.
     I am not completely certain that it is linked to getting the keyboard replaced, but it seems probable that that might be the case, though I would still like to get some other possible fixes.
    P.S: I have close to no experience with disassembling computers, so if it turns out that it's a hardware problem, I'll probably have to have it fixed at a repair shop anyways.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop Randomly Powering Off
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »
    Could be a number of causes including a cooling fan that isnt spinning up to speed and so it shuts down to protect from melt down.

There is a tool called speedfan that you can run and check the fan speed as well as temperatures. If you see lots of variation in fan speed or can hear something that doesnt sound quite right with the cooling fan then you know that its a fan thats dying or has a lint ball knocking around in the blades. A laptop will shut off very quickly with no warning! if it doesnt see the cooling fan spinning like it should be! This can give you that random shutdown behavior.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
    since it's only started after replacing the keyboard, I'm wondering if that is the culprit.
    maybe not quiet compatible, or perhaps a sticky key (the one that tells it to sleep, or power off).

Enoshade

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
      That was my guess too, but I still took it to be fixed, and although they checked a number of things inside the laptop, the issue still persisted afterwards. However, when I tried taking out the battery, it seems to have stopped, so I guess there's my fix. The battery hasn't lasted more than 5 minutes for a long time anyway, so I probably won't be needing it. Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:52:11 PM »
      *censored*, a win is a win, take them anyway they come.   :D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
      *censored*, a win is a win, take them anyway they come.   :D

+1
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »
      I had a laptop battery go bad & the laptop wouldn't even POST.  Took me while to figure that one out.
      The battery was less than a year old & I had another one from a duplicate laptop.  When I swapped batteries, the other laptop wouldn't POST.