Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What about liquid solder? Is it good?  (Read 2388 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What about liquid solder? Is it good?
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:09:45 AM »
What about liquid solder?
Imagine this scenario. You have a delicate piece of electronic equipment that has a broken trace or a component that is broken away from the circuit board. You are not in your workstation and you have a limited number of tools with you. Would you attempt to try to use your soldering iron in your toolkit, or would you attempt to use a liquid solder product to connect a wire, trace or component back in place without the need for heat?

Think about it. If you don't have the right soldering iron and if you're not in the correct environment, trying to solder something can be operated and possibly you could damage the delicate circuit board by applying too much heat.
So here's my question. Do if you have any experience with using a liquid solder product to make an emergency repair when you cannot take something back to your workbench?

Would such an emergency repair be just as good as what you would do with the right soldering iron and the right equipment? Is use of liquid solder may be the best choice in some cases?

I have absolutely no experience with liquid solder, but I came across a problem recently that has me thinking about it. I tried brazing onto a metal component that needed repair and it was rather large and I could not get enough heat to make the brazing rod stick to the component. Possibly I do not have the right rod or flux, but I suspect that it was because I could not put enough heat to the device without actually damaging something. So that's why I didn't try any harder to raise the item.
I said braise, because nowadays the distinction between soldering and brazing becomes a little blurred. We no longer use led when we solder something and we have to use a higher temperature so it almost becomes the same thing as brazing. But maybe you could explain that to me, all I know how to do is to use lead-based solder, but that is no longer politically correct.
How can I get acrid information about the use of liquid solder?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:22:26 AM by Geek-9pm »