Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard disk  (Read 2536 times)

olarwummy

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    hard disk
    « on: November 09, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »
    i hava hard disk of 500gb,,, i have been using 4gb ram,,, but i have an additional 2gb ram, can  i slot the two together, making 6gb ram,,, am using windows 7 32bits,, i hope i wound not have a problem if i inserted the other 2gb ram on my system...
    i would appreciate a prompt reply

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: hard disk
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »
    If the RAM matches ...no problem.

Not all RAM is the same.

BTW if this is the system you asked about months ago you still need to look up what amount of RAM it supports....did you do that yet ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »
    Since you are using Windows 7 32-bit, adding additional RAM beyond 4GB is pointless since a 32-bit Windows OS can only use about 3.5GB.  If you were running 64-bit Windows then it could put the extra RAM to use. 

The ability to utilize more than 4GB of RAM is the number 1 main reason to use 64-bit Windows instead of 32-bit Windows.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:44:05 AM »
    And sadly you just can’t ‘upgrade’ 32bit Windows to 64bit, it’ll be a fresh install.
    But you will have do it one day anyway, to go beyond the 4GB barrier of the 32bit architecture.
    And while doing that process, why not do it with Windows 10, since you have win7, it’ll still be free.

olarwummy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:22:49 AM »
      thanks alot for all your contribution,, am glad you have all help me in one way or the other...
      can i install 2 windows on one hard disk, i mean windows 7 and windows 10, is it possible?

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
      yes you can, it's called dual booting, I'll let Google be your friend on the how-to's, I last dual booted XP and Win7 so am very rusty.
      there'll be a correct order to do it in, probably 7 first than 10.

I do remember the process itself being easy, but afterwards, the partitions getting messy and having to remember what OS I was currently using as the locations of system and user folders change between the OS'es.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
      The cleanest method and what i recommend is seperate HDD's...

Then you simply select which one to boot to via BIOS at startup...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
      When setting up for dual boot, you generally want to install the older OS first.  Then when you install the newer OS, the installer will have "knowledge" of the previous OS and know how to co-exist with it.  An older OS can't have that same knowledge about a newer OS.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »
      You cannot run Windows 7 and Windows 10 legally in a dual boot scheme using the same license, whether on separate partitions or disks. One or the other.

If you are having only 1 license of Windows 7, then you will not be able to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 on separate partitions. You can upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. If you are not satisfied with Windows 10   you can always roll back to Windows 7.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/dual-boot-win-10-win-7-with-same-license/f42aff17-f16d-421f-bda0-64ef7df5e9bb?auth=1