Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Voodoo?  (Read 4418 times)

ddp004s

Computer Voodoo?
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:55:05 AM »
My sound is not working for a very interesting reason.

In the Device Manager, I have a problem (little exclamation point) with the Multimedia Audio Controller.
When I go to properties for this device, I am told that "the drivers for this device are not installed." So, I click Reinstall Driver (as suggested), and Windows 2000 takes me to the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard.  After a short search, the wizard informs me that it has found a driver and will install it. However, in the last part of the wizard, I get the following error message: "An error occured during the installation of the device. The configuration registry key is invalid."

I have searched the internet for days and have not found a straightforward solution or even explanation for this problem.  Please help.

I have also created a powerpoint presentation of screen captures to show exactly what messages I get if you would like to see it. I'm just not sure how to attach it to this posting since I'm new to this.

ps. Any ideas on how to remove a curse from a computer? Obviously, I'm partly joking, but there is ALWAYS a problem with my work computer. As soon as I fix one problem, another occurs. It's the wierdest, most frustrating thing. I'm not talking about average stuff, but wierd obscure problems that take forever to fix. Should I get it blessed by a priest or what?

Mac

Computer Voodoo?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:19:22 AM »
My sound is not working for a very interesting reason.

In the Device Manager, I have a problem (little exclamation point) with the Multimedia Audio Controller.
When I go to properties for this device, I am told that "the drivers for this device are not installed." So, I click Reinstall Driver (as suggested), and Windows 2000 takes me to the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard.  After a short search, the wizard informs me that it has found a driver and will install it. However, in the last part of the wizard, I get the following error message: "An error occured during the installation of the device. The configuration registry key is invalid."

I have searched the internet for days and have not found a straightforward solution or even explanation for this problem.  Please help.

I have also created a powerpoint presentation of screen captures to show exactly what messages I get if you would like to see it. I'm just not sure how to attach it to this posting since I'm new to this.

ps. Any ideas on how to remove a curse from a computer? Obviously, I'm partly joking, but there is ALWAYS a problem with my work computer. As soon as I fix one problem, another occurs. It's the wierdest, most frustrating thing. I'm not talking about average stuff, but wierd obscure problems that take forever to fix. Should I get it blessed by a priest or what?

WhoDoo?  :-X

Probably the Nephelim are sucking the life juices out of your system. (Need a Smiley with fangs like snake here.)  Have you tried rubbing it with garlic?  :o

Could be the evil ear of Earache, as it is unlikely to be the 'Evil eye of Horus'. (Your own eyes, btw.) Seen any monkeys lately?

Just check in the mirror to make sure you are still there.

Try uninstalling the old driver first and then installing the new one.

ddp004s

Re: Computer Voodoo?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:45 AM »
Yes, I tried uninstalling the drivers and rebooting so that windows would find it and try to reinstall the drivers, but I still get the same error message about the "Configuration Registry Key is Invalid."

I'm afraid it might be a problem with the registry, which I'm squeamish about getting into.

Spedz

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 11:50:36 AM »
Hmm. If its a serious problem, you could always set your computer into the 'last good configuration'. I think Spybot backsup your registry... But obviously it'd be too late.

I Found a link on the advertising toolbar thing of registry cleans, could help  :-/  ...Here!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 11:55:45 AM by Spedz »

Mac

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 04:45:57 PM »
Yes, I tried uninstalling the drivers and rebooting so that windows would find it and try to reinstall the drivers, but I still get the same error message about the "Configuration Registry Key is Invalid."

I'm afraid it might be a problem with the registry, which I'm squeamish about getting into.

Yes, me too, which is why I use a drive image to revert to in cases like this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:45:57 AM by Mac »

J0K3R

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:22:39 PM »
I could try the laying on of hands on your pc and expel any demon horde into the abyss

have you tried windows update.??

can you install other programs??

try completely removing the device from the system like uninstalling the card or if its onboard disable it in the bios then remove all software drivers etc etc beofre trying to reinstall it.

have you had  any viruses latley??

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 05:26:08 PM by J0K3R »

Mac

Computer Voodoo?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:57:23 AM »
How about total immersion in Hol(e)y water?  ;D

Salome had John the Baptist's head brought to her on a plate.

8)

Or do you not re-member?