Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old 2005-06 Super Talent Case bought from local DAV/thrift store.  (Read 6096 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Old 2005-06 Super Talent Case bought from local DAV/thrift store.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
Front USB might be hidden somewhere on the front, behind a flap or other reticulating piece of the case, same with things like front-panel audio, often they get hidden for some weird design reason. Though at best it would be USB 2.0.

A front-panel could be purchased and installed which can plug into a USB 3 capable motherboard though to provide front-panel USB3. Whether it's worth it is another question.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Deavan_Noah

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
Well, i have looked around the case, & i can confirm that the i/o is hidden behind a spring flap door at the bottom, but there is only 2 usb 2.0, headphone out + mic in, and a cutout for Firewire... i dont have any 3.0 ports (because of it's age of course). Well, i guess i don't have any way to test or know if the PSU is alive or dead, but i am still replacing it with a more powerfull/efficient one. I may keep it if it works, for a GPU or something; or take it apart for components. I will probably block the very small bottom plate fan port off. On one of my side panels there is a cutout with acrylic board and another 80mm fan. I think i may enlarge it to 120mm for a CPU AIO water cooler in the future. I know for a fact that i will only be using one Graphics Card, though. My next question is should i de-rivit the 3.5" drive bay rail and shorten it from either the bottom or top.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
While I suppose it's fine as a case modding project, it's not a particularly special case, would have been pretty cheap and low end when new.  You can almost certainly get a much newer case with proper fittings for 120mm fans and USB 3.0 stuff for very little money nowadays.  While this case would still work for a basic PC, if you are building anything resembling high performance (in particular using a liquid cooler) I'd almost certainly just pick up a newer case.

Deavan_Noah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
I may just stick to air cooling. Idk yet. I'm not going to be doing heavy Overclocking, & an AIO may not even be necessary for me. But i do want larger fans than 80mm. There are a lot of PCi slots in the case i wont be able to use, because i'm going to buy a mini-ITX  motherboard (because of the onboard wifi module, single PCI-express slot, & the small form factor). This may be a poor use of the case space though.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
There are a lot of PCi slots in the case i wont be able to use, because i'm going to buy a mini-ITX  motherboard

Curious about this...there's many ATX boards that have those features...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Deavan_Noah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:44 AM »
Well, I was originally going to do a small form factor build as my first build.