Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can this be PC slower than laptop  (Read 2770 times)

NAME_

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How can this be PC slower than laptop
    « on: November 24, 2017, 07:08:28 AM »
    I have a 2 year old laptop with Intel Atom processor 32bit and 2gb ram and it runs heavy software like Photoshop, Visual Studio and so on and it also runs Call of duty 4 and it has no Graphics card !!

And my PC that is 64bit Intel i5 4gb ram 1000Tb HDD without a graphics card brand new, and Call of duty is slow Photoshop is slow  I mean how can a laptop be faster than a PC after that I installed a 8gb ram so I had 12gb ram now and everything works except from games they still aren't good

my pc is Lenovo IdeaCentre S10
    my laptop is Quest Slimbook the cheapest laptop out there

can someone explain to what may be the cause and how is this possible ?
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:57:07 PM by patio »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How can this be PC slower than laptop
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
    Do you have the proper driver for the GPU? If your not running the proper driver and only the Windows generic driver your system would act very sluggish with games or not run games at all etc. I'd verify you have the latest driver for the GPU. Additionally please try to avoid getting the censorship flag to your posts. Everyone here is willing to help without the unnecessary language, so please try to keep posts clean.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: How can this be PC slower than laptop
      « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:33:29 AM »
      You don't say what model Lenovo IdeaCentre S10 is the 4 digit model number would give a lot clearer specs.

One area that is faster on the laptop is loading programs and data. The laptop having a small electronic drive integrated into the motherboard which is about 4 times faster than the 1TB in the Lenovo.

Lenovo's have  utilities that start and remain in memory when windows starts most of these are not necessary or can be run when required.

I would expect the graphics performance to be the same as both are onboard.

Also the laptop Atom processor is no slug.

Windows 10 on the Laptop is likely to be really clean of start up programs.

You can check the disk speed with Benchme from reclaimme http://www.benchbench.com/

Also it may be possible depending on the Lenovo model to put a 1050 graphics card in, 1 of the 1/2 height models probable.

And maybe an ssd to get the same disk performance as the laptop.