Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer turn wont turn on  (Read 7392 times)

woahthere

computer turn wont turn on
« on: December 15, 2005, 08:35:02 AM »
I was playing counter strike then all of a sudden the screen went blank then the fans started to make loads of noise so i turned it off and now when i turn it on the fans start the dials move and light up but it makes some beeps then nothing happens just the fans spining, its happened before and i sent it back and they put a new motherborad in but the company has gone bankrupt so carnt send it back is there any way i can tell for sure its the motherborad and help choseing a new one??.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer turn wont turn on
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 08:56:50 AM »
1) Punctuation.

2) More info on your system, OS and what happened prior to this and someone will be along shortly to assist.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

woahthere

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 09:02:09 AM »
Os is xp, i dont know much about computers but this is from what i can remeber. ATI x6550 pro, two 512 ddr ram, two 200gb hdd, 2 dvd-r drives, cool master dials , 230v power suply. intel p4 ht

woahthere

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:09:43 AM »
Forget the last post i just found the spec sheet. motherboard spec and type P4915G, ram 1024, video card type x600, processor type P4 530 and xp

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:52:06 AM »
Just from what i see so far that system is underpowered...http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/PSUWattageCalculator.php

The above link will clculate your needs and i'd guess they are a bit more than 230 W.

p.s. Don't scrimp on a PSU...$19.95 will get you only more headaches.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

woahthere

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »
If the psu wasnt enuff power, would'nt it have stoped working alot earlyer?. Its been running fine for just under a year
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 12:39:00 PM by woahthere »

tribert

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 12:46:52 PM »
Did you have a power surge - soulds like a problem with the hard drive.

woahthere

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 12:48:22 PM »
no iv got a serge protector, like i said before i think its the motherborad but people have said that the psu is not enuff power

tribert

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 12:58:40 PM »
One way to test the power supply issue is to disconnect somthing and see how the computer runs.

woahthere

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 01:01:10 PM »
how the computer just makes some beeps when its turn on and the fans spin thats it

tribert

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 01:13:27 PM »
1st if your computer was working fine with the current power supply, I don't know why it is now inadequate - unless you added somthing. But computers are strange. Before you power-up disconnect somthing that you don't need. If you have a second drive disconnect the power to it. Then power up - if you just have the basic items running and you still have problems, it is likely another problem. More power is good suggestion, but it might save a trip if it is a different problem.

woahthere

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 01:17:04 PM »
If you have a second drive disconnect the power to it. What do you mean by that

tribert

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »
Your prior notes state you have 2 hard drives and 2 DVD drives. Open the case and disconnect the power cords to the slave drive and the DVD drives. That will reduce the power drain on the computer. If it starts then you will likely need more power.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 01:24:15 PM »
    woahthere... It might help find the problem ...if you tell us exactly what beeps you heard ....were they long or short and in what order ........Also the type of bios to have .....

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

woahthere

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 01:28:10 PM »
    Thanks tribert i disconnect a hdd and a dvd drive and the comp is working fine so i must need a new psu, but it is strange how it has just stoped working