Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Net Neutrality - Does it matter?  (Read 2375 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Net Neutrality - Does it matter?
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »

Anybody  can search Yaho for:
Net Neutrality - Does it matter?
Do you care?
I do, but for a specific reason There is one website I want to get  into. It is not a comercial site, so it might be pushed down in the cache performance.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Net Neutrality - Does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
As it is written it is a nightmare...the Author FCC's cheif was on the board at Comcast...what does that tell you ? ?

Expect a Congressional fight...and if that fails it will land up in the Courts.

No one in their right mind considers this good legislation other than the largest media/web conglomorates...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
The Current chairman of the FCC was previously a lawyer for Verizon. He gave a *closed* talk at Verizon just a week or so ago. The Review Process was marred by tens of thousands of comments in support of getting rid of the Net neutrality rules which were made under false names, some of the people commenting their "support" for removing it managed to do so from beyond the grave. Here is an article on the portions of fake comments.

Now that it has been repealed, Comcast is looking to get new Net neutrality laws in place. Which, of course, it will be responsible for writing, by virtue of the "generous" donations that congressman have received from them.

Congressman in support of the change to remove it were, mysteriously, found to have accepted money from ISPs. I'm sure that is merely a coincidence. Additionally, the largest American ISPs, amid all this, have spent over 26 Million dollars on lobbying for the repeal of the net neutrality rules.

Companies- especially American ones - seldom spend such large sums unless they expect it to enable them to get more back.

I'm in Canada so none of this really affects me. I'm told by USians that Canada will copycat whatever the U.S does, or am given weird models where somehow U.S ISPs will somehow throttle data I receive- But regardless we are not a U.S State and the Internet doesn't work that way. Canada and the CRTC had Net neutrality rules in place before the U.S did, and Tom Wheeler on the FCC used ours (and those of a few other countries) as a model for the American version that have now been repealed. As the U.S administration and various government officials continue to prod Canada and tell us we are "doing it wrong" the CRTC has been steadfast in ignoring them and reaffirming their commitment to Canadian Citizens and not corporations.

The weird part for me is that their approach to "convince" the CRTC always seems to treat Canada as a company that needs to drive foreign investment in our Internet infrastructure. Roslyn Layton, one of  the "technical experts" appointed by the FCC by the latest U.S administration, said "My biggest concern for Canada is that you continue to add regulation that deters the incentive to invest". Nothing about how these regulations work in favour of Canadian citizens, nothing about preventing ISPs and other Internet Companies from working against their customers interests in order to make more money. And when the CRTC moved against a Quebec wireless carrier which was offering a zero-rating service (A Video streaming service of their own that didn't count towards the data cap if you paid enough) Those same FCC appointees said that Canada was "in the same class as Backwards India". As if whatever India is doing is inherently bad. Meanwhile, the U.S's current rules are in line with such countries as... Slovakia and Estonia.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
It's like the old saying..."if you want the answer to anything...follow the money"

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
From Los Angeles Times 2 days ago.
Here's who'll benefit — and who might not — if net neutrality is repealed as expected
quotes
Winner: Internet service providers
Winner: Large content providers
Winner: Connection sensitive services

Loser: Start-ups
To be determined: Consumers

“Net neutrality rules keep the internet open for all and ensure consumers can access the websites and apps they — not their Internet service provider — choose,”

Some say taht social mdia sites my suffer.
That would include ComputerHope.  :o

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »