Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WHAT DID I DO?????  (Read 2239 times)

sanvsan

WHAT DID I DO?????
« on: December 15, 2005, 06:36:26 PM »
Hello, all!  I really appreciate any and all responses that would help me with this dilemma!  Ok, here goes:

My mother gave me her Compaq Presario 5000.  It was totally infected with viruses as it would not even move after starting up.  I tried and tried, and finally found out that all I had to do was do a "Quick Restore" that came with the cpu.  ANyhoo, couldn't find them.  So, like the ever so impatient person I am ::), I borrow my friends quick restore for her compaq presario----[glb]NOTEBOOK[/glb]!  Well, it ran, but it then stayed on safe mode.  So I left it alone for about 4 mos, we finally found the *censored* disks for the cpu and now my computer won't even come off the compaq screen!!!!!  I tried holding down f8 and cnt keys, nothing!  I put the disks in, the lights come on, but then nothin!  OY!  I actually gave this computer to my son and for the life of me cannot get it runnin :-/!  I know that it was stupid of me to use the restore disks that were not meant for the computer, but isn't there some way to get this thing up and running again?  Please, help me!!!!!!  (Thank you in advance!)

GX1_Man

Re: WHAT DID I DO?????
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 08:31:10 PM »
A new Windows CD can solve that problem quickly. Shop for a used Windows 2000 or less on eBay. Drivers can be hard to find with anything less than the system it was designed for, and sometimes even then. What was the original OS - WinME?

If you use Win2000 you will have the best luck. MOST of the drivers are built in. We can help you find the others.
How much RAM and hard drive do you have to work with?

This page will help find out what's in there:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

All RAM is not equal and the correct characteristics can be found at www.crucial.com  It is important to find the correct RAM with the specs you need, without adding more than your motherboard can take, It;s all right there. Lower density and high density RAM can be a proble as well, if mixed on some machines, especially of the vintage.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/swPfinder?query=presario+5000&tool=softwareCategory&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Sort by model number (exactly - all the digits) and the original operating system. as well as any (if any) other operating systems supported.

Here is my Christmas gift to you.

Send me the full model number of the machine to reasearch also, then ship the machine to me (PM me for address) and be willing to pay for shipment back, along with the purpose for the machine clearly stated, I will either fix your machine to run better than it ever did, or at worst case scenario, the same as when you got it. 99.99% of my work falls in the former category.

This is my Christmans gift for a few lucky computer hope members. There is no charge, unless parts are needed. The labloris free annd my reward is the fun of a solution. If you want to make a donation of whatever amount after the machine is back with you, I will donate 100% to the project to make the next "resurrection" even easier for the next person.

So you know how to PM me. You've seen my knowledge. "Bring out your dead"

Have a Merry Christmas.

GX1
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:32:19 PM by GX1_Man »

Mac

What would you like to do?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »
"Compaq Presario 5000

Duron-900 CPU, 128MB of SDRAM, 64KB L2 cache, Windows Me, 40GB hard drive, 16X DVD-ROM drive, 12X/4X/32X CD-RW drive, Compaq NVidia GeForce2 MX graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM, 17-inch Compaq FS740 monitor, integrated sound, JBL Platinum Series speakers, V.90 modem, network adapter, midsize tower case, Microsoft Word 2000, Quicken 2001 New User Edition. One-year parts and labor warranty; free unlimited 24-hour tech support."

" Compaq Presario 5000 Series Model 5000US supports up to 768MB of memory, you may want to install even more, especially if you work with several programs at a time or use memory-intensive software, such as image-editing software.

(Keep in mind that sometimes BIOS updates and other hardware configurations can alter memory recommendations.)"

COMPAQ.COM

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set