Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: You tube to CD  (Read 3037 times)

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    You tube to CD
    « on: January 06, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
    Hi guys and gals,
      I have a Dell Latitude D630 running Windows 7- 32 bit home premium. Yeah, I know it'a a dinosaur, but it works for me.
      I know about media players and making a playlist and burning it to CD-R, but I can't get it to work for you tube.
      What I'm wondering is can I copy a track ( audio only) from you tube to a CD-R. Please, bear in mind, I'm 67 and kinda new to this computer stuff ( it's like learning a new language). So, if you answer, please, keep the answer simple. Like your talking to a dummy ( you are).

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: You tube to CD
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
    I believe it could be done with freeware called Audacity.  See http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_how_to_s.html#streaming   But, bear in mind that such downloading generally violates copyright law.   Can you state why you want to do this?  Why not just listen online?  What would you do with CD-R's you created from downloaded video? 

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
      I listen to then in my car when I'm doing meals on wheels. I had a friend who did this for me. He had a HP computer running Windows 8.1 ( if that matters).He is unavailable and I never asked how it works or if I could do it.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
      Well, given your stated usage of music CD's you'd like to create, I suggest you try Audacity.  As I recall from past usage of Audacity, it will initially record the sound to a file it creates on your hard drive.  Then, you need to open Audacity and use it's menu to burn the recording to CD/DVD. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
      You also cannot do this direct from uTube...the songs need to be saved to the PC...then burned.

Many will be blocked...due to Copyrights.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:12:47 PM »
      Allow me to clarify and elaborate on using Audacity. Any youtube video can be recorded using Audacity; Audacity does not care about copyrights or whether recording a video is blocked by the publisher.  The reason is that Audacity is simply recording anything it hears, including any sound coming from the speakers.  Keep in mind that recording with Audacity requires a mic connected to the computer.  Most laptops have a built-in mic.  With most desktop systems, the typical hardware configuration for this type of recording requires the addition of an external mic, such as a USB webcam. 

I tested this on a desktop system with a USB webcam mounted on top of my monitor.  I recorded a video but, since the mic in my webcam will not record stereo sound, the outcome, i.e, the recording, lacks stereo sound.  Also, since my speakers were sitting below, and slightly behind, my monitor, and, again, the webcam was sitting on top of the monitor, this was not the best configuration of speakers and webcam to capture sound from the speakers.  If I wanted to do more recording from any web source, I would rearrange the speakers and/or webcam so that they are facing each other rather than being faced the same direction.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:09 PM »
      Some Audio devices have a recording  input that comes directly from the audio output. On Creative Labs audio cards the input is called "What U Hear".

I'm pretty sure encouraging or providing instruction on how a user can pirate music through youtube is against the forum rules. Audacity doesn't care about copyright but the forum rules certainly seem to, regardless of the age or skill level of the user getting assistance.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
      I'm pretty sure encouraging or providing instruction on how a user can pirate music through youtube is against the forum rules. Audacity doesn't care about copyright but the forum rules certainly seem to, regardless of the age or skill level of the user getting assistance.
      I agree.  I wish I had not gotten involved this discussion.  I hope my comments about quality of sound discourages anyone thinking of using Audacity for this.  In 2016, I used Audacity to record meetings when I served as secretary for a local non-profit organization.  Doing this made the task of "taking" minutes of meetings much easier for me than trying to capture the content of meetings in handwriting; I could replay the recording and select certain parts for replaying when typing the secretarial report for distribution to members.  But, I would not enjoy listening to music recorded this way. 

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
        You can all relax. I won't do any of this.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 03:48:55 PM »
        On that note...Topic Closed.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "