Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspirion 3543 wont come out of sleep or hibernate state  (Read 1999 times)

CCTam

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Dell Inspirion 3543 wont come out of sleep or hibernate state
    « on: January 12, 2018, 06:18:38 AM »
    Hi all Guru's and experts

My laptop will easily go into sleep or hibernate mode but I have yet to be able to get it out of those two states. I have tried many different things but to no avail. I just dont know enough about all the proper settings or whether this is software or hardware related. I dont even know how to begin to pinpoint the cause. I did log a call with Dell twice and they seemed to get nowhere fast. I am so frustrated as I have battled wtih this problem since the day I got it which was Apr 2016.

Specs: Dell Inspirion 3543
    Intel Core i7 2.4GHz cpu 8 GB RAM 64bit Windows 10 OS

Any help would be most appreciated!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Inspirion 3543 wont come out of sleep or hibernate state
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:55:53 AM »
    I had a similar issue a few years back and I found that one of the RAM sticks in my wifes system was the cause. I ran memtest86 on her system and found there was an issue. Oddly the issue didnt show up when the system was running but when it went into sleep or hibernation it would fail to come out of this state. Symptoms I had was that the computer would come to life but just a black screen hung in limbo.

I'd run a RAM Test on your system such as memtest86 to make sure the memory is healthy.

Other thing that could cause this but less likely is a hard drive or SSD issue with how it could store information improperly from the memory dump to disk that happens during these processes. So I would run crystaldiskinfo and see if there are any yellow warnings or red errors for the hard drive or SSD that that system has in its SMART data log.

Beyond that, I have heard of some people having issues with specific drivers for the sleep and hibernation mode. An easy band aid might be to go into power management and remove sleep and hibernation from its list of behavior so that it wont sleep or hibernate, but this can be a pain for some people who enjoy a system that will do this when not used to save electricity and fan life of cooling fans by a system going down to a cold power level when not needed and then spring back ready to roll when needed.

CCTam

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »
      Firstly can I thank you kindly for your response. As stated by you my issue is exactly the same. I can hear it come to life so to speak but the screen remain black and in the limbo!

I have heard of a memtest86 but not sure how to run it, but will do some googling and definitely try that one for starters. I have never heard of crystaldiskinfo but will investigate this as well. Maybe my hard drive is an issue.... I dont use a SSD so not to sure about that one.

Thank you so much for these two extra pointers that I can try.... as I am sure you have picked up I am not a geek so some of the terminology used is a little foreign to me... but rest assured I have no issue with researching and establishing how to achieve this.... :-)

I will update this post with results in due course.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
      The free edition of memtest86 can be downloaded at link below. Its usually easier for novice users to burn the ISO to a Disc instead of making a bootable USB drive version of it. Once burned to disc its as easy as placing it into your drive and rebooting the computer. On boot it should automatically boot from the disc and start memtest86. If your BIOS is not configured with the DVD drive to boot from before the hard drive, then it would fail to boot from the disc. If this happens on most new computers you can press an F key specific to your model and get to a boot loader selection where it lists DVD Drive, USB Drive, Network Boot, Hard Drive, Removable Disk, etc. I placed a link to that info below the memtest86 link in case you run into troubles trying to get it to boot off the disc. Lastly crystaldiskinfo I also have linked below. I use the portable stand alone portable version of it which they still have available in their archive that i linked below.

Memtest86... The free edition is all you need:
      https://www.memtest86.com/

If you run into troubles booting from a disc check out this info below which will help in how to get it to boot from the disc if your boot order doesnt have DVD drive listed as boot priority before hard drive:
      http://www.boot-disk.com/boot_priority.htm

Crystaldiskinfo... The portable edition as linked here (Note there are newer versions with installers, I personally prefer tools that are stand alone vs ones that have registry hooks into Windows etc):
      https://crystalmark.info/download/archive/CrystalDiskMark/CrystalDiskMark3_0_4.zip