Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Recovery on MTP Device Internal Memory (Kodak Easyshare C360)  (Read 4553 times)

lawdaddy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    This is a last ditch effort to obtain any helpful suggestions.  The background is that a few years ago someone broke into my house and stole my laptop (among other things), which also had my SD card for the camera inserted into the reader.  There were certain family photos saved to the laptop that are irreplaceable.

Awhile back, I realized that certain of the photos may actually be on the internal memory of the camera (from time to time I would take a few photos, then realize my SD card wasn't inserted, and then start using the card).  Though I'm able to pull off the most recent photos, I'm wanting to run a file recovery software on the internal memory to see if I can pull off any of the deleted photos.  When I plug the camera (Kodak Easyshare C360) into the computer using the USB cable, it shows up as a camera rather than a drive (so I can't effectively run any of the file recovery programs I've found).  From a lot of searching/reading, I'm not finding a solution to this in Windows.  However, if someone has one please let me know!

I have a number of laptops/old computers lying around, so if a Windows solution isn't feasible--is there an alternate OS that might allow this functionality?  I installed Ubuntu (Linux) onto one computer, but am having the same issue (being recognized as a camera and not a drive).  Is there a Ubuntu/Linux solution?

This is a latch ditch/hail Mary effort for me, as I'd really like to recover at least some of the photos that were stolen. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: File Recovery on MTP Device Internal Memory (Kodak Easyshare C360)
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »
    If the camera itself has a function to transfer internal memory images to a external SD Card, then I would go that route. And then take teh SD Card to a Reader and access them that way.

Not familiar with this exact model but my Samsung for example has where I can select through a menu on the camera and tell it to unload pictures from internal memory to the SD Card then access it through SD Card Reader.

Some cameras however dont have this ability, but the software that docks the camera to the computer over a USB connection can acquire the pictures off the camera by the software communicating with the camera handshakes with camera and acts as a communications bridge to download the images to a hard drive on your computer. If you have this software installed on the computer and it says there are no pictures or only recent pictures then what ever was there prior is gone.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
    I had 1 Kodak camera years back....all i remember from it is the EasyShare software was pure garbage...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »
    There isn't a way to access the internal memory of the camera directly as a drive unless the camera itself provides that feature. You might find a connection mode or similar setting that you can set to "mass storage" for example. Typically, however, Cameras appear as, well- cameras, to the system which have volumes that allow the images to be accessed, which you cannot access as a drive letter.

If the camera does not expose it's internal memory as a volume that can be directly accessed by the computer then there likely isn't a way to use any recovery software on it. the OS doesn't matter- it is the camera itself that dictates what "USB Class" it is.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.